"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Member's ShowcaseDipping Sushi

Do you enjoy photographing your food? Post those images here.
- Simple dishes, elaborate layouts, individual products are all welcomed. If you have a recipe to go with the photo all the better.
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Dipping Sushi

Postby Duck » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:08 am

Unitas_Photography-.jpg

Another 'just for fun' pic.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Dipping Sushi

Postby LindaShorey » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:14 pm

Man, I need to upgrade from my cheap wooden chopsticks to those gorgeous stainless steel! I'm interested in learning about your choice to show the dipping sauce on the tuna (?). Do you feel there's more anticipation (salivating) if we think the product is on its way to user's mouth, as opposed to the anticipation of the moment the fish goes into the sauce? Of course the little near-drip at bottom is super cool.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:16 pm

That looks like a very well-done image. The use of light/shadow, the arrested movement and the "disappeared" background give it a lot of impact for such a simple composition. Nicely taken.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:19 pm

Thanks for the comments, folks. That sauce was a pain in the tuchus. I had to thicken up the soy sauce to make it stick to the fish and show up in the image.
As for the chopsticks... they are actually lacquered wood, not metal, but I can see how it can be seen as metal. But then, that's the beauty of commercial photography, we all see what we want to see. ;)

Unitas_Photography-2.jpg
Sushi BTS
Unitas_Photography-2.jpg (65.78 KiB) Viewed 105 times

Here is a view of the setup (sans food). Softbox behind and slightly above the product, a diffusion screen blocking the lower half of the softbox. This created better highlights on the fish but cut light coming onto the bowl. I have a metallic gold reflector camera left and a white reflector camera right. The gold reflector adds punch and warmth (which I ended up removing in post as I didn't like it) and the right reflector was set up to open up the shadows at the front of the bowl and product.

The chopsticks are held by a clamp on a grip arm. That allowed me to position the sushi for the camera but move the bowl so that the perspective matched the fish. I then used an eyedropper to apply the sauce onto the fish. The rest is just tripping the shutter.

rmalarz
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Postby rmalarz » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:47 pm

Nicely done, Duck. Good technique and camera angle.
--Bob
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus

Postby Matt Quinn » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:27 am

Thanks for the info on the setup, Duck. Looks like a real camera-cave place to get lost in and forget time. I love tuna sushi, especially with wasabi and ginger and flavored rice. I am salivating just thinking. Great food foto, as you can tell. BTW, for a period of time, my "nickname" was Duck. I'll send you a pm explaining, if you want. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:21 am

Duck wrote:Thanks for the comments, folks. That sauce was a pain in the tuchus. I had to thicken up the soy sauce to make it stick to the fish and show up in the image.

If you don't mind sharing your secrets I'm curious what you did to thicken the soy sauce. I've heard of using motor oil and glue, but I'm sure there's more. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:53 am

Considering I planned on eating the sushi also, motor oil was definitely out of the question. :D

I used a little corn starch as thickener. In retrospect it wasn't thick enough.

On a side note, the use of non edible substitutes is frowned upon in many circles. There is even a law that says you can not use non food substitutes, fillers or stand ins for the main food items being advertised. You also can not add more than what a consumer would get in a serving. There are a lot of tricks to making food look mouth watering without resorting to substitution trickery.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:40 am

Duck wrote:Considering I planned on eating the sushi also, motor pill was definitely out of the question. :D

I used a little corn starch as thickener. In retrospect it wasn't thick enough.

On a side note, the use of non edible substitutes is frowned upon in many circles. There is even a law that says you can not use non food substitutes, fillers or stand ins for the main food items being advertised. You also can not add more than what a consumer would get in a serving. There are a lot of tricks to making food look mouth watering without resorting to substitution trickery.

I didn't know that and have a greater respect for food photographers! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby LindaShorey » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:46 pm

Duck wrote:...There is even a law that says you can not use non food substitutes, fillers or stand ins for the main food items being advertised. You also can not add more than what a consumer would get in a serving. ...

That law must not extend to the packaging I see on many frozen food items in my grocery store - ha!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Return to “Food & Beverages”