"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Animals ShowcaseDANGER!

Images containing animals of any type; mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, fish, insects
Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

DANGER!

Postby Ceropegia » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:06 am

Western Diamondback Rattlesnake - Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, Arizona
Attachments
DSC03411gx.jpg

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: DANGER!

Postby Charles Haacker » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:37 pm

WOW! To see one out in the open like that! It's easy to see why they are marked as they are since this one might be hard to spot against the ground unless moving. They are magnificent animals important to their ecosystems.

Years ago we were on an instructor-led geology hike in northern California. Matt was along, preteenish, and our leader stopped for a moment to point out a rock ledge at about eye level some six feet away. We looked, and umm, yeah? So rock ledge. He said, look closer but be careful and don't get too close. So we did and finally spotted a young rattler, maybe a foot long, tucked into the ledge, uncoiled (so less dangerous since they cannot strike from an uncoiled position), and eyeing us back. The simple fact is we would never have seen her if our leader had not spotted her. He was a dear man, a professional geologist born and raised in Wyoming. He had highly developed his skill at spotting rattlers since they are an accepted hazard of the profession. We stared at her and she stared back, probably raising her heart rate, but so long as she held absolutely still we would never have seen her. Humans are far more dangerous to them than they are to us. :)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:18 pm

Ceropegia wrote:Western Diamondback Rattlesnake - Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, Arizona

You have captured the Diamondback Rattlesnake very well, and I only hope you were not too close, as the image appears. I have never seen a rattlesnake out in the open. Although, a couple of years ago, I was in Tucson and while there went to one of the national park/forest in the area to capture some images of the Saguaro's, which was something else I hadn't seen. As I was taking my shots, the thought of coming upon a rattlesnake did come to mind, but all was safe for me. Thanks for posting/sharing this image.
Dave

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby Matt Quinn » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:46 am

Ceropegia wrote:Western Diamondback Rattlesnake - Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, Arizona

I hope you shot from a Land Rover. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:36 am

She's beautiful and looks to be getting some sun. Thank you for sharing this! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Animals Showcase”