"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Member's ShowcaseBumblebees with a Cell Phone

Wild animals are a great challenge to photograph. Always unpredictable with rich payoffs.
- Wild animals of any type, non-domestic animals in their natural habitats, even wildlife in captivity.
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Bumblebees with a Cell Phone

Postby Charles Haacker » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:22 am

I couldn't decide if this was animals or flowers or closeups on account'a it's pretty much all three, but since the central figure is a bee (or two) I decided it's animals. Animalia anyway.

We are moving (again, *SIGH* 8~ ) so I was over at the new place shifting some cargo. There is a flower border along the fence and as I was leaving I saw it was being visited by numerous bumblebees. But I didn't have a real camera. But I couldn't just pass by (too ephemeral) so I whipped out my phone-that-is-way-smarter-than-I-am and tried somewhat desperately to catch a busy, busy bee --- well, ya get the idea. I did some spray'n'pray but I would have even with a real camera. There are some interesting artifacts in these that I would not expect with a real camera. The last one has two bees for the price of one. I was pretty happy with the detail in the bees 'cuz I am a sharp freak. :D I dunno what the flowers are and yes, absolutely TGF Lightroom!
Attachments
IMG_20170915_143658.MAX.jpg
IMG_20170915_143707.MAX.jpg
IMG_20170915_144116.MAX.jpg
IMG_20170915_144119-Edit.MAX.jpg
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Bumblebees with a Cell Phone

Postby minniev » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:30 pm

Pretty good bees Chuck and nice flowers too. I would never have attempted bees with a cellphone, but I can't manage to hold the darn things steady enough to get a decent shot of anything. You did good! Detail, color. Hope ya'll get settled soon, moving is no fun!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Postby davechinn » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:44 pm

Busy, busy bees !!! Excellent cell phone usage Chuck. I have always been pretty negative with cell phone camera users .... until I need one myself !!! All are outstanding, but the first two get the prize for me. I may just put the DSLR away and carry two cell phones after seeing these. Great set Chuck.
Dave

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby LindaShorey » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:47 pm

I commented earlier, but must not have submitted - unless my comments are in someone else's topic, lol. I like the setting very much. Those are beautiful flowers (can't recall the name) and #1 is especially eye-catching. Good luck with your move!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Psjunkie
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Postby Psjunkie » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:02 pm

Nice job Chuck...

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Charles Haacker » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:28 pm

minniev wrote:Pretty good bees Chuck and nice flowers too. I would never have attempted bees with a cellphone, but I can't manage to hold the darn things steady enough to get a decent shot of anything. You did good! Detail, color. Hope ya'll get settled soon, moving is no fun!
Thanks Min! I wouldn't have tried it either, but as somebody said, "Ya takes yer pitcher with the camera ya gots." (Somebody said that, or somethin' like it...) And I did spray'n'pray, about 20 exposures, most unfocused. They are murder to hold steady. I think I've seen adverts for grips and even supplemental lenses to turn your cell phone into a "real camera," kinda like a real boy, or whatever... :|
davechinn wrote:Busy, busy bees !!! Excellent cell phone usage Chuck. I have always been pretty negative with cell phone camera users .... until I need one myself !!! All are outstanding, but the first two get the prize for me. I may just put the DSLR away and carry two cell phones after seeing these. Great set Chuck.
Dave
Thanks Dave! Don't ditch your DSLR. I know the phone cameras are making great strides and "everyone" has one, but I would have been much happier had I brought my Sony RX-10 along. I'm not unhappy with these (in fact I'm pretty chuffed) but some of the oddball artifacting is offputting, and the Nexus 6p is supposed to have a superior camera.
LindaShorey wrote:I commented earlier, but must not have submitted - unless my comments are in someone else's topic, lol. I like the setting very much. Those are beautiful flowers (can't recall the name) and #1 is especially eye-catching. Good luck with your move!
Thanks Linda! I'm the guy who pretty much never met the flower he didn't like, but mostly have little idea what they are. The moving thing is another matter... 8~
Psjunkie wrote:Nice job Chuck...
Thank you Frank! :thanks:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Ceropegia » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:35 pm

You and your phone did an admirable job, druthers aside. BTW the flowers are sedums specifically sedum spectibile most likely "Autumn Joy" aka Stonecrop. Very durable plants. If you sever a branch and lay it on the ground, usually, in no time, it will put down roots, turn upward, and voila, you have a new plant. Have some in my garden. Butterflies have been going crazy over them (bumblebees, bees, and the like, too) as they do every fall.
Martha
In the Appalachian foothills of Northeast Alabama

http://www.ipernity.com/home/picture_taker

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:10 pm

Ceropegia wrote:You and your phone did an admirable job, druthers aside. BTW the flowers are sedums specifically sedum spectibile most likely "Autumn Joy" aka Stonecrop. Very durable plants. If you sever a branch and lay it on the ground, usually, in no time, it will put down roots, turn upward, and voila, you have a new plant. Have some in my garden. Butterflies have been going crazy over them (bumblebees, bees, and the like, too) as they do every fall.

Thanks so much for the flower ID, Martha! I have these up on my Flickr as well and I have amended the captions to include this information. There's quite a line of sedum on our side of the fence so I'll be sure to let my DIL know that if she wishes to expand the bed it's as easy as laying a branch on the ground. There were some butterflies too, painted ladies, but they were few and very flighty (so to speak). None landed near the bees so, oh, well. :|

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Ceropegia » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:00 am

Charles Haacker wrote:Thanks so much for the flower ID, Martha! I have these up on my Flickr as well and I have amended the captions to include this information. There's quite a line of sedum on our side of the fence so I'll be sure to let my DIL know that if she wishes to expand the bed it's as easy as laying a branch on the ground. There were some butterflies too, painted ladies, but they were few and very flighty (so to speak). None landed near the bees so, oh, well. :|

Another name for the plant is live forever. However, if your DIL wants more plants, sticking the branches directly into the ground may work better. Haven't seen any painted ladies on mine, but plenty of American ladies and various fritillaries.
Martha
In the Appalachian foothills of Northeast Alabama

http://www.ipernity.com/home/picture_taker

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:09 am

Welcome To The Darkside My Friend! laf
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"