"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Animals ShowcaseFrog Pond, Lauritzen Gardens, Omaha

Images containing animals of any type; mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, fish, insects
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Frog Pond, Lauritzen Gardens, Omaha

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:33 pm

It was a little tough to figure out quite where to put these inasmuch as one of them is a bird sculpture that overlooks the pond, and the other two are actual living frogs... (?) (Wait. Don't sandhills eat frogs? :S )
Attachments
DSC07550.EMlr.jpg
“End of Day” Sculpture
The arboretum and bird sanctuary is the perfect setting for this bronze sculpture of sand hill cranes. Artist Dee Clements.
It was tough to get separation on these. The original capture has the bronze and the grass very near the same value. What did we do before Lightroom? ;D
Sony DSC-RX10, ƒ/5.6, 28.9 mm, 1/125 ISO 125, Lightroom
DSC07655.EMlr.jpg
North American Bullfrog
Sony DSC-RX10, ƒ/5.6, 73.3 mm, 1/250, ISO 320
DSC07656.EMlr.jpg
Northern Leopard Frog
The frogs were shot at full (equiv) 200mm extension, plus cropped. This was one of the rare times that I could have wished for a Superzoom.
Sony DSC-RX10, ƒ/5.6, 73.3 mm, 1/250 ISO 125
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Frog Pond, Lauritzen Gardens, Omaha

Postby minniev » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:24 pm

These are nice shots, Chuck. I relate to the bird statue as there is a similar one near here, at a botanical garden and I can never figure out quite how to get at it!

The frogs are cute but that last one is a a really cool image with the frog balanced on all those criss crossed sticks like he's playing jenga. That's also a dragonfly on the brightest twig isn't it? though I can't make out the wings. Very fun image to look at!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:27 pm

minniev wrote:These are nice shots, Chuck. I relate to the bird statue as there is a similar one near here, at a botanical garden and I can never figure out quite how to get at it!

The frogs are cute but that last one is a a really cool image with the frog balanced on all those criss crossed sticks like he's playing jenga. That's also a dragonfly on the brightest twig isn't it? though I can't make out the wings. Very fun image to look at!

Thanks, Min. I only really had one angle on the birds, plus they were so deep in the weeds so to speak. I don't even remember what I did to increase separation.
I never saw that (damsel)fly, possibly because it is so tiny and unmoving! Good catch! :thanks: They hold their wings to the sides like dragonflies, and because the wings are usually transparent as cellophane you'd never see them against the dark water.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

PietFrancke
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Postby PietFrancke » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:34 pm

I like the lines/composition of the top down view on the last one - this is a very happy frog just being lazy and resting while he waits for his free meal to come around. He wonders if he should move over to than nice green pad.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby LindaShorey » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:10 pm

#3 - love Minnie's reference to the game Jenga and Piet's suggestion the frog is contemplating a change of scenery. Something quite eye-catching about that one for sure.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:17 pm

PietFrancke wrote:I like the lines/composition of the top down view on the last one - this is a very happy frog just being lazy and resting while he waits for his free meal to come around. He wonders if he should move over to than nice green pad.
Thanks, Piet. That top-down view was all there was. :D The pond is sunken from the path and those two frogs were the only ones within reach of my (equiv) 200mm, and I still had to crop.
LindaShorey wrote:#3 - love Minnie's reference to the game Jenga and Piet's suggestion the frog is contemplating a change of scenery. Something quite eye-catching about that one for sure.
I find myself wondering, Do frogs think? :D

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:24 pm

I was lucky enough once to see a pair of Sand Cranes and they are massive! Frogs have always been a fascination for me so I appreciate you adding these here! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Animals Showcase”