"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Animals ShowcaseAmerican Painted Lady Butterfly

Images containing animals of any type; mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, fish, insects
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

American Painted Lady Butterfly

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:59 am

I had some trouble deciding where this belonged. It's not quite a macro-macro, although the painted lady is larger than life-size. I was originally trying to shoot the flowers when this butterfly barged in so it's not really about the flowers. So I guess it'sa wild animal.

The family coaxed me into an outing to Omaha, to the Lauritzen Gardens where they were holding their annual sweet corn festival. It did turn out to be a pretty good photo op and this was the very first picture I shot, walking into the place from the parking lot. We all thought it might be a Monarch, but close examination of the picture and comparison showed it is more of a mimic. It still took quite awhile to find out what it really was. At one point I thought it was a moth because of the long fuzzy body, but no, it is a butterfly. I will be posting more pictures from this outing later.

ImageAmerican Painted Lady Butterfly by Charles Haacker, on Flickr
Raw capture, Sony DSC RX10, ƒ/5.6, 73.3 mm, 1/500, ISO 125, hand held. Aperture priority, finished in Lightroom.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: American Painted Lady Butterfly

Postby minniev » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:18 am

Lovely, Chuck. I don't think I've ever had a chance at one of these. Yes, the furry body did make it look a little mothlike but those wings give it away as a butterfly. The lantana is captured well too. Lantana often stymies me, it is much harder to take photos of than it ought to be. Nice color and detail.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby LindaShorey » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:36 am

Terrific detail and color! So chasing butterflies isn't the way to photograph them; you must wait for photo bomb. I like it :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:02 pm

minniev wrote:Lovely, Chuck. I don't think I've ever had a chance at one of these. Yes, the furry body did make it look a little mothlike but those wings give it away as a butterfly. The lantana is captured well too. Lantana often stymies me, it is much harder to take photos of than it ought to be. Nice color and detail.

Thanks Min! We all thought it was a Monarch, but having looked so long at pictures I think I might actually now be able to identify a real one. One key is that they are edged in black, not brown. Now I need to look up lantana. I love any kind of flowers but it's sometimes hard to identify them.
LindaShorey wrote:Terrific detail and color! So chasing butterflies isn't the way to photograph them; you must wait for photo bomb. I like it :)

Thank you Linda. I wish I'd thought of photo bomb! :D I'd have put it in the title.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby St3v3M » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:11 am

This is an example of a beautifully detailed image. I love every bit of it and am jealous! Thank you for adding this here! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Animals Showcase”