"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Animals ShowcaseDragonfly landing sequence

Images containing animals of any type; mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, fish, insects
WingShooter
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Dragonfly landing sequence

Postby WingShooter » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:02 pm

Dragonfly landing sequence shot @ 10 FPS
The sequence is 8 shots and rest are the dragonfly struggling to get a grip on the trig.
Attachments
Landing Sequence Frame #1.jpg
Landing Sequence Frame #2.jpg
Landing Sequence Frame #3.jpg

rmalarz
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Dragonfly landing sequence

Postby rmalarz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:25 pm

Really nice work, John.
--Bob
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

WingShooter
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus

Postby WingShooter » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:29 pm

Thanks Bob, The sequence is 8 shots with the last 5 has the dragonfly fighting the wind to get a good grip on the trig.

rmalarz wrote:Really nice work, John.
--Bob

PietFrancke
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby PietFrancke » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:55 pm

Man!! Nice job.

WingShooter
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus

Postby WingShooter » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:05 pm

Thanks Piet, I appreciate you looking.

PietFrancke wrote:Man!! Nice job.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby Psjunkie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:13 pm

Wonderful set John...perhaps a triptych????

WingShooter
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus

Postby WingShooter » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:24 pm

Thanks Frank and that could be one possible way of displaying the three.

Psjunkie wrote:Wonderful set John...perhaps a triptych????

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:10 am

WingShooter wrote:Dragonfly landing sequence shot @ 10 FPS
The sequence is 8 shots and rest are the dragonfly struggling to get a grip on the trig.

This is so much fun and I love that I learned how they hold their legs. Neat!

If you don't mind would you speak to how you set this up and any technicals you can provide? Thank you! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

WingShooter
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus

Postby WingShooter » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:28 pm

I have been experimenting for a few years and with lots of trial and error. The setup was with D810 with tripod, 300mm F2.8 and TC1.4EIII using all manual. I would start shooting and would have a my wife walk to the dragonfly and see if I could catch the dragonfly lifting off its perch. The results were not great with one frame the dragonfly is still perched and next completely gone and I soon learned the burst rate was too slow. I would get a rare shot with the liftoff but not in great focus. The camera in all manual even the focus and I soon learned to prefocus where I would hope to catch the dragonfly lifting off but I would only get one half decent shot in a 100. I needed needed a much faster FPS rate and a year later Nikon released the D500. The reviews were giving me hopes the 10 FPS plus the advanced tracking would be the answer to my needs. Just before Christmas Nikon placed it on sale with a free battery pack and I jumped on the package. It was a big boost in birding with fast tracking and 630MM with crop sensor using 300mm and TC1.4 and now I would just have too wait till dragonfly season. I soon found the shutter speed and distance were two key pieces to success. The Halloween Pennant has a faster wing speed than I realized and I soon settled on 1/3200 with F8 and moving to about 11 feet would give a little extra DOF. I learned that during the heat of the day a dragonfly will most likely perch high to get a breeze for cooling a great view of the prey. They will perch with the head into the wind and the majority of the time land back into the wind. I would setup the tripod 90 degrees from the dragonfly body and the camera in manual with only ISO on auto. Now just wait till the dragonfly gets airborne and having prefocused on the dragonfly at rest. I do not look through the view finder but stand watching with my finger on the shutter and after liftoff I would start the burst. The D500 has a 200 shot buffer with 10 FPS is a big advantage. I shoot this between 5 and 10 times and go back to check results and not all shoots would yield results. Any other questions feel free to message me.

St3v3M wrote:
WingShooter wrote:Dragonfly landing sequence shot @ 10 FPS

This is so much fun and I love that I learned how they hold their legs. Neat!

If you don't mind would you speak to how you set this up and any technicals you can provide? Thank you! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:12 pm

WingShooter wrote:I have been experimenting for a few years and with lots of trial and error. The setup was with D810 with tripod, 300mm F2.8 and TC1.4EIII using all manual. I would start shooting and would have a my wife walk to the dragonfly and see if I could catch the dragonfly lifting off its perch. The results were not great with one frame the dragonfly is still perched and next completely gone and I soon learned the burst rate was too slow. I would get a rare shot with the liftoff but not in great focus. The camera in all manual even the focus and I soon learned to prefocus where I would hope to catch the dragonfly lifting off but I would only get one half decent shot in a 100. I needed needed a much faster FPS rate and a year later Nikon released the D500. The reviews were giving me hopes the 10 FPS plus the advanced tracking would be the answer to my needs. Just before Christmas Nikon placed it on sale with a free battery pack and I jumped on the package. It was a big boost in birding with fast tracking and 630MM with crop sensor using 300mm and TC1.4 and now I would just have too wait till dragonfly season. I soon found the shutter speed and distance were two key pieces to success. The Halloween Pennant has a faster wing speed than I realized and I soon settled on 1/3200 with F8 and moving to about 11 feet would give a little extra DOF. I learned that during the heat of the day a dragonfly will most likely perch high to get a breeze for cooling a great view of the prey. They will perch with the head into the wind and the majority of the time land back into the wind. I would setup the tripod 90 degrees from the dragonfly body and the camera in manual with only ISO on auto. Now just wait till the dragonfly gets airborne and having prefocused on the dragonfly at rest. I do not look through the view finder but stand watching with my finger on the shutter and after liftoff I would start the burst. The D500 has a 200 shot buffer with 10 FPS is a big advantage. I shoot this between 5 and 10 times and go back to check results and not all shoots would yield results. Any other questions feel free to message me.

Wow! I feel like it might be able to do this now! Thank you! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Animals Showcase”