"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Member's ShowcaseA customer's tarantulas

Wild animals are a great challenge to photograph. Always unpredictable with rich payoffs.
- Wild animals of any type, non-domestic animals in their natural habitats, even wildlife in captivity.
LindaShorey
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: A customer's tarantulas

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:55 am

I just made a second comment, but it disappeared when you posted the gecko, lol. There are some real beauties here, Duck. I enjoyed a lot. Your mention of ants reminded me of the large leaf cutter ant colony at the National Zoo's invertebrate exhibit where I volunteered in the late 1980's. We had many long tubes connecting the nest to the areas where the leaves were so people could easily see them working diligently.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Duck » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:03 am

LindaShorey wrote:[...]We had many long tubes connecting the nest to the areas where the leaves were so people could easily see them working diligently.

Funny you should mention tubes. Rachel has queens in test tubes and some are attached to this maze like colony thing with clear windows. It was pretty interesting how she cultivates the colonies.

Personally I would rather see these critters out in their habitat. But then, I'm not a 'pet' person anyway. Having ants and spiders and snakes just sitting around isn't for me. Sure, they're cool to look at, but that would get old for me after a few days.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PietFrancke
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Postby PietFrancke » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:45 pm

Holy Moly what a set! I love these, but I got to say while they document perfectly the different varieties of monstrosity, I liked the first for a sense of scale. King Kong in New York has nothing on these guys! I'm with you about them as pets... Dogs make good pals.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Postby Psjunkie » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:59 pm

Well done Duck...better you than me on this one, I'm a fan if neither snakes or spiders...

uuglypher
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Postby uuglypher » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:49 pm

Wow! I'd never envisioned a "body of work" on tarantulas, but by damn...you summit!
Fascinating!

Dave

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:33 pm

While I won't actively seek out spiders (or snakes) I won't shy away from them either. If you ever get the chance to experience having a tarantula walk on your arm you should do it. It is an experience not soon forgotten. They are light on their feet and it's definitely a unique sensation. Of course do it with a docile specimen and a handler that knows what they're doing. And just for a note, most tarantula bites aren't terribly bad. Some no worse than that of a wasp (so I'm told.)

While I wasn't really handling any of the spiders for this shoot, I did get caught in the crossfire of one of them "flicking hairs". This is a defensive mechanism many tarantulas use where they will use a back leg to 'flick' hairs off the top of their abdomen at anything they consider adversarial (usually some animal sniffing around). In this case it was my hand. It's like having fiberglass dust get on you, super itchy. My inner wrist is still feeling it. :thumbdown:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:22 am

This is an absolutely beautiful series of amazing little creatures. Thank you for sharing these! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Animals & Wildlife”