"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Member's ShowcaseSpotted Salamander

Wild animals are a great challenge to photograph. Always unpredictable with rich payoffs.
- Wild animals of any type, non-domestic animals in their natural habitats, even wildlife in captivity.
uuglypher
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Spotted Salamander

Postby uuglypher » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:55 pm

I recall as a kid considering the first sign of Spring to be when the spotted salamanders could be seen swimming just beneath the thin ice on the small swamp,/ pond area in the woods across the road from our house. As soon as there was an opening melted in the ice that's where the spotted salamanders would mate and produce their chains of fertilized eggs. A few days later the spring peepers (tiny frogs) and wood frogs would begin their dusk and nighttime choruses and winter was over!

Dave

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Spotted Salamander

Postby St3v3M » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:15 pm

uuglypher wrote:I recall as a kid considering the first sign of Spring to be when the spotted salamanders could be seen swimming just beneath the thin ice on the small swamp,/ pond area in the woods across the road from our house. As soon as there was an opening melted in the ice that's where the spotted salamanders would mate and produce their chains of fertilized eggs. A few days later the spring peepers (tiny frogs) and wood frogs would begin their dusk and nighttime choruses and winter was over!

Dave

What a childhood you had. Love it! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Animals & Wildlife”