"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Member's ShowcaseBrother's backyard

Wild animals are a great challenge to photograph. Always unpredictable with rich payoffs.
- Wild animals of any type, non-domestic animals in their natural habitats, even wildlife in captivity.
TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Brother's backyard

Postby TomCofer » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:11 am

I recently made a trip to visit my brother and his wife in Minnesota. They live in Coon Rapids, basically a suburb of Minneapolis. It's interesting that their home is near a busy highway, but their backyard faces a lake and a wooded area. Here are some critters that I saw in his backyard during my visit.

TC170512 008.jpg

TC170512 013.jpg

TC170512 017.jpg

TC170512 159.jpg

TC170512 164.jpg

TC170512 179.jpg

TC170512 197.jpg

TC170513 219.jpg

TC170513 233.jpg

TC170513 280.jpg
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Re: Brother's backyard

Postby TomCofer » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:12 am

TC170518 1782.jpg

TC170518 1798.jpg

TC170518 1828.jpg

TC170518 1838.jpg

TC170518 1854.jpg

TC170519 1882.jpg

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

pop511
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Postby pop511 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:10 am

Number 3 for me. Love the lighting.
ed davis

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby LindaShorey » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:29 pm

How wonderful to have such photogenic visitors!

Seems to me I read that Minnesota is the only state besides Maine that has "black flies" - the tiny ones that take a big bite out of you (rather than insert a needle - ha), and are merciless, driving people indoors and animals to distraction. If you're allergic, like I am, a small bite swells to huge, itching boo boo. TMI? Sorry :) Just brought back memories of my home state - haven't been back in seven years...
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:21 pm

I am most taken with #8 and #10, the deer family. (Thereisnolightlikebacklight) :D
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:45 pm

It's always amazed me how much wildlife actually exists in the suburbs. Most of the time they keep clear of humans but it looks like your brother's yard actually invites them in with feeders. That's awesome.

When my wife and I first moved into our house we had an old, diseased apple tree in the back yard. It brought in a family of deer every morning. I tried hard to nurse that tree back to health but it was too far gone and insects finally did it in. Now we don't see the deer as often though I'll catch them in my headlights at night as I pull into the driveway.

On the first set of deer images; It seems these deer weren't too skittish, considering your focal length shows you at about 100mm and it looks like they were aware of you being there. What's the story there? Looks like your brother feeds them so I'm sure that probably had something to do with it.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:01 pm

Your brother appears to have created a wildlife sanctuary in his yard. I bet it was a fun visit - getting up for early coffee would have more than the normal rewards. Love the deer and duck images. And the turkey who wandered off to create his own thread.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby TomCofer » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:07 am

Duck wrote:It's always amazed me how much wildlife actually exists in the suburbs. Most of the time they keep clear of humans but it looks like your brother's yard actually invites them in with feeders. That's awesome.

When my wife and I first moved into our house we had an old, diseased apple tree in the back yard. It brought in a family of deer every morning. I tried hard to nurse that tree back to health but it was too far gone and insects finally did it in. Now we don't see the deer as often though I'll catch them in my headlights at night as I pull into the driveway.

On the first set of deer images; It seems these deer weren't too skittish, considering your focal length shows you at about 100mm and it looks like they were aware of you being there. What's the story there? Looks like your brother feeds them so I'm sure that probably had something to do with it.

Thanks Duck. A wooded part of the lake is right behind his house. They put food out for the "birds" which happens to be popular with the deer too. Some of the shots were thru their glass door, some of them were from their balcony. As long as you don't move too quickly or toward them, they don't get too excited about folks being around.

thcofer@charter.net

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby TomCofer » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:11 am

minniev wrote:Your brother appears to have created a wildlife sanctuary in his yard. I bet it was a fun visit - getting up for early coffee would have more than the normal rewards. Love the deer and duck images. And the turkey who wandered off to create his own thread.

I'd wake up to duck and loon calls in the morning, grab a cup of coffee, and sit out on their deck or balcony every morning. It was great! The deer and ducks usually came around in the mornings and evenings.

My brother's wife was outside one day a year or so ago and nearly got stampeded by deer when a chopper flew over the lake.

thcofer@charter.net

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:27 am

TomCofer wrote:I'd wake up to duck and loon calls in the morning, grab a cup of coffee, and sit out on their deck or balcony every morning. It was great! [...]

My wife wakes up to duck noises every morning... :rofl:

:spank:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Animals & Wildlife”