Member's ShowcaseCamouflage In The Swamp

Wild animals are a great challenge to photograph. Always unpredictable with rich payoffs.
- Wild animals of any type, non-domestic animals in their natural habitats, even wildlife in captivity.
minniev
Mentoris Praefectus
Mentoris Praefectus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Camouflage In The Swamp

Postby minniev » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:50 pm

Found this guy yesterday in the swamp I hike in regularly. He had several companions. They fled the swamp two years ago when the drought started, but I'm glad to see them back with the recent flooding.
Attachments
gator (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Ceropegia
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Re: Camouflage In The Swamp

Postby Ceropegia » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:00 pm

Great shot! I like how it seems to have found a very comfortable place to bask.
Martha
In the Appalachian foothills of Northeast Alabama

http://www.ipernity.com/home/picture_taker

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:09 pm

minniev wrote:Found this guy yesterday in the swamp I hike in regularly. He had several companions. They fled the swamp two years ago when the drought started, but I'm glad to see them back with the recent flooding.

It's a beautiful image, but I have to ask, how dangerous are the swamp-things and have you ever felt in danger from any of them?

Can you tell us more about the image? How you came upon it and set everything up? Thanks! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby LindaShorey » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:59 pm

Not a care in the world when you're at the top of the food chain. Super-cool shot!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Praefectus
Mentoris Praefectus

Postby minniev » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:54 am

Thanks, I need to pay them another visit! There is no danger, as long as you don't go tromping around in the water. They don't really want to deal with us any more than we want to deal with them. The ones I'm seeing right now are 8-12 feet, moderate sized gators. I walk slowly, don't make much noise, and shoot from the bank or the bridge with the longest lens I have. Often the light isn't good, because gators stay in the water or mud when it's not sunny, so if I find them, they're gonna be in mid-day contrasty light sunning on their logs. I don't know where they go early morning or late evening but they don't hang out where you can see them during "magic hour" light.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:09 am

minniev wrote:Thanks, I need to pay them another visit! There is no danger, as long as you don't go tromping around in the water. They don't really want to deal with us any more than we want to deal with them. The ones I'm seeing right now are 8-12 feet, moderate sized gators. I walk slowly, don't make much noise, and shoot from the bank or the bridge with the longest lens I have. Often the light isn't good, because gators stay in the water or mud when it's not sunny, so if I find them, they're gonna be in mid-day contrasty light sunning on their logs. I don't know where they go early morning or late evening but they don't hang out where you can see them during "magic hour" light.

I love adventure but watch out for the logs with eyes and be sure to share your adventures here! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Animals & Wildlife”