“If you're offered a seat on a rocket ship, don't ask what seat! Just get on.” ―Sheryl Sandberg

Member's ShowcaseWild Turkeys

Wild animals are a great challenge to photograph. Always unpredictable with rich payoffs.
- Wild animals of any type, non-domestic animals in their natural habitats, even wildlife in captivity.
Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Wild Turkeys

Postby Ceropegia » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:49 pm

These were taken in my upper field with my wildlife camera so I can't exactly take credit for them, but thought I would share them anyway. When I was editing the ones with the young turkeys, I was so focused on them that the first time I looked at them, I did not even notice the tom displaying in the upper left background. When I did notice him, I wasn't even sure that was what I was seeing until I zoomed in. Also, by looking at the photos in the order taken, I could see he was turning. I've circled him in those photos.

Turkeys - A Hen, Five Young, and a Tom par Ceropegia, on ipernity

Three Tom Turkeys par Ceropegia, on ipernity

Three Tom Turkeys par Ceropegia, on ipernity

Two Tom Turkeys par Ceropegia, on ipernity

Turkey par Ceropegia, on ipernity

Tom Turkey par Ceropegia, on ipernity

Two Turkeys par Ceropegia, on ipernity

Martha
In the Appalachian foothills of Northeast Alabama

http://www.ipernity.com/home/picture_taker

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Wild Turkeys

Postby Duck » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:03 pm

Wow, some really great shots for an automated camera system. Wild turkeys have been coming through my (and neighbor's) back yard for the past month, I haven't seen any babies though. I also spot them as I am leaving for work so no pics. :-(

Thanks for posting these. Can you give us more info on what camera(s) you used? I'm sure there may be some interest from others.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Ceropegia » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:35 pm

Duck wrote:Can you give us more info on what camera(s) you used? I'm sure there may be some interest from others.

The camera that took these photos is a 10MP Browning Strike Force 5HD. I have two other brands (one of which got water inside). The Browining is by far the best. It has many options both photo and video including time lapse - none of which I have used. I am not even sure I have it set for 10mp (see comments below). It takes reasonable night shots if the subjects are not moving rapidly.

In the twelve years I have lived in the woods, I have only seen a turkey twice and deer three times. Other than coyotes which I see occasionally, I really wanted to know what was roaming around. So, initially, my goal with the cameras was not to get great quality, but just to document critters. I currently have a Wildgame camera in the backyard and the Browning in my upper field. I rarely get anything in the backyard (although I did get a twelve point buck earlier this year, in addition to a friend mooning the camera). Virtually all the animals that have been captured have been in the upper field. Opossums, armadillos, rabbits, raccoons, coyotess, bobcat, and deer at night. Turkey, coyote, deer, squirrels, crows, cats, and dogs - mostly Otis, my own, during the day.

I did not check the Browning all this summer. Went to check it last week only to find a branch had bent down in front of it in June, causing it to take about 4500 pictures in less than a week, exhausting the batteries which were not very fresh at the time. Fortunately, Momma turkey and her babies were captured just before the batteries died.

I have ordered another camera, a 14MP Bushnell Trophy Cam HD Aggressor No-Glow Trail Camera. It is a somewhat more expensive camera than the Browning which, had been spending cash, I would have bought; but the Bushnell was available through my credit card reward points. I want to put one of them looking across the flood plain toward the large creek or by the smaller creek where I have seen herons and ducks.

When I get time, I will post some other photos my cameras captured.
Last edited by Ceropegia on Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martha

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Duck » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:10 am

Ceropegia wrote:...in addition to a friend mooning the camera...

My luck those would be the only kinds of images I'd get. Except it'd be the neighbor. ;)

Thank you for sharing, specially why you opted to buy these types of cameras. I'd seen them advertised but never thought about why someone would buy one. I can see the reason for it in a heavily trafficked critter zone. Can't wait to see other interesting shots, including the mooning shot.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Ceropegia » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:57 pm

Duck wrote:Thank you for sharing, specially why you opted to buy these types of cameras. I'd seen them advertised but never thought about why someone would buy one. I can see the reason for it in a heavily trafficked critter zone.

Perhaps the greatest use of these cameras is by hunters who use them to check/locate areas where game they are seeking might regularly frequent.
Martha

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby TomCofer » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:33 pm

Yup, they're used my hunters a lot in my area. they use them a lot pre-season to see where and when the deer are coming thru.

Nice shots Martha
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Return to “Animals & Wildlife”