"Black and white are the colors of photography. To me they symbolize the alternatives of hope and despair to which mankind is forever subjected." —Robert Frank

Member's ShowcaseBald Eagle Family

Wild animals are a great challenge to photograph. Always unpredictable with rich payoffs.
- Wild animals of any type, non-domestic animals in their natural habitats, even wildlife in captivity.
LindaShorey
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Bald Eagle Family

Postby LindaShorey » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:10 pm

I've been fortunate to be able to follow a bald eagle couple for several years in the Yakima River Canyon. I have seen twins, then triplets, then twins again - all successfully raised and fledged. Mom is on the nest again this year, and I'm hoping to see little ugly dinosaur heads poke up soon :)

First photo is from spring (contemplating the task ahead?) and the others are the twins nearly fledged. The nest is visible from the roadway, but quite a distance across a river. Used Canon SX50. Thanks for viewing!
Attachments
eagle1.jpg
eagle2.jpg
eagle.jpg
Last edited by LindaShorey on Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Re: Bald Eagle Family

Postby St3v3M » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:29 pm

LindaShorey wrote:I've been fortunate to be able to follow a bald eagle couple for several years in the Yakima River Canyon. I have seen twins, then triplets, then twins again - all successfully raised and fledged. Mom is on the nest again this year, and I'm hoping to see little ugly dinosaur heads poke up soon :)

These photos are last year's family, nearly fledged. The nest is visible from the roadway, but quite a distance across a river. Used Canon SX50. Thanks for viewing!

Fortunate indeed, blessed I'd say. And how far away are you? They don't seem concerned by your presence.

I love the perspective? Are you shooting from the side of a hill? I'll keep coming back to look at these! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby LindaShorey » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:29 pm

St3v3M wrote:Fortunate indeed, blessed I'd say. And how far away are you? They don't seem concerned by your presence.

I love the perspective? Are you shooting from the side of a hill? I'll keep coming back to look at these! S-

Thanks so much Steve. I'll find a wider view to post that will give a sense of distance. Standing at the edge of a two-lane road (45 mph speed limit, but too many think that's just a suggestion) and looking across a river - fortunate the road is "just the right height" there. The Canon SX50 has a 1200 mm "equivalent" angle of view and these are slightly cropped.

These eagles have been using that nest for about 7 years I'm told, so are quite used to people. In fact, some photographers throw frozen fish into the river (from a rock outcropping a little lower than the roadway) in order to get better action shots.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:02 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Thanks so much Steve. I'll find a wider view to post that will give a sense of distance. Standing at the edge of a two-lane road (45 mph speed limit, but too many think that's just a suggestion) and looking across a river - fortunate the road is "just the right height" there. The Canon SX50 has a 1200 mm "equivalent" angle of view and these are slightly cropped.

These eagles have been using that nest for about 7 years I'm told, so are quite used to people. In fact, some photographers throw frozen fish into the river (from a rock outcropping a little lower than the roadway) in order to get better action shots.

Too cool, and looking forward to more! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

PeteD
Mentoris Praefectus
Mentoris Praefectus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby PeteD » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:33 pm

Very nice. I hope to one day see one in the wild

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby TomCofer » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:52 pm

Very nice Linda. I always love the Bald Eagle shots.
I considered getting the Canon SX50 at one time, but didn't follow through. I figured it was about the cheapest way to get that kind of zoom. :)
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Return to “Animals & Wildlife”