Member's ShowcaseBald Eagle Family

Wild animals are a great challenge to photograph. Always unpredictable with rich payoffs.
- Wild animals of any type, non-domestic animals in their natural habitats, even wildlife in captivity.
User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Reputation: 9
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Bald Eagle Family

Postby LindaShorey » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:10 pm

I've been fortunate to be able to follow a bald eagle couple for several years in the Yakima River Canyon. I have seen twins, then triplets, then twins again - all successfully raised and fledged. Mom is on the nest again this year, and I'm hoping to see little ugly dinosaur heads poke up soon :)

First photo is from spring (contemplating the task ahead?) and the others are the twins nearly fledged. The nest is visible from the roadway, but quite a distance across a river. Used Canon SX50. Thanks for viewing!
Attachments
eagle1.jpg
eagle2.jpg
eagle.jpg
Last edited by LindaShorey on Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Reputation: 19
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first
Contact:

Re: Bald Eagle Family

Postby St3v3M » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:29 pm

LindaShorey wrote:I've been fortunate to be able to follow a bald eagle couple for several years in the Yakima River Canyon. I have seen twins, then triplets, then twins again - all successfully raised and fledged. Mom is on the nest again this year, and I'm hoping to see little ugly dinosaur heads poke up soon :)

These photos are last year's family, nearly fledged. The nest is visible from the roadway, but quite a distance across a river. Used Canon SX50. Thanks for viewing!

Fortunate indeed, blessed I'd say. And how far away are you? They don't seem concerned by your presence.

I love the perspective? Are you shooting from the side of a hill? I'll keep coming back to look at these! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Reputation: 9
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Bald Eagle Family

Postby LindaShorey » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:29 pm

St3v3M wrote:Fortunate indeed, blessed I'd say. And how far away are you? They don't seem concerned by your presence.

I love the perspective? Are you shooting from the side of a hill? I'll keep coming back to look at these! S-


Thanks so much Steve. I'll find a wider view to post that will give a sense of distance. Standing at the edge of a two-lane road (45 mph speed limit, but too many think that's just a suggestion) and looking across a river - fortunate the road is "just the right height" there. The Canon SX50 has a 1200 mm "equivalent" angle of view and these are slightly cropped.

These eagles have been using that nest for about 7 years I'm told, so are quite used to people. In fact, some photographers throw frozen fish into the river (from a rock outcropping a little lower than the roadway) in order to get better action shots.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Reputation: 19
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first
Contact:

Re: Bald Eagle Family

Postby St3v3M » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:02 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Thanks so much Steve. I'll find a wider view to post that will give a sense of distance. Standing at the edge of a two-lane road (45 mph speed limit, but too many think that's just a suggestion) and looking across a river - fortunate the road is "just the right height" there. The Canon SX50 has a 1200 mm "equivalent" angle of view and these are slightly cropped.

These eagles have been using that nest for about 7 years I'm told, so are quite used to people. In fact, some photographers throw frozen fish into the river (from a rock outcropping a little lower than the roadway) in order to get better action shots.

Too cool, and looking forward to more! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

PeteD
Mentoris Praefectus
Mentoris Praefectus
Posts: 447
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:54 am
Reputation: 7
Location: North Carolina
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Bald Eagle Family

Postby PeteD » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:33 pm

Very nice. I hope to one day see one in the wild

User avatar
TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2609
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:42 am
Reputation: 14
Location: Fredericktown, MO
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Bald Eagle Family

Postby TomCofer » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:52 pm

Very nice Linda. I always love the Bald Eagle shots.
I considered getting the Canon SX50 at one time, but didn't follow through. I figured it was about the cheapest way to get that kind of zoom. :)
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.


Return to “Animals & Wildlife”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest