“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Member's ShowcaseDistant cousins to Linda's swans

Wild animals are a great challenge to photograph. Always unpredictable with rich payoffs.
- Wild animals of any type, non-domestic animals in their natural habitats, even wildlife in captivity.
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Distant cousins to Linda's swans

Postby Matt Quinn » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:12 pm

This afternoon, in the pond at Turf Valley Golf Course, Ellicott City, MD, a long way away from Yakima WA. With apologies to Linda; when I saw them, I thought of her and had to stop. (I know, the sky is blown out and the blacks are muddy. All I had was my iPhone; not that I could have done better another camera anyway. And I was facing the sun. Alas.)

No, I don't belong to the club; it's on the way to the grocery store which is more my style and speed. Matt

swans (1 of 2).jpg
swans (2 of 2).jpg
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Distant cousins to Linda's swans

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:39 am

#2 sure is a beautiful setting and mood, with great tonal range too. Would love to see how #1 looks if cropped a bit, especially from the top and right side.

These somewhat distant shots and your mention of lack of "real" camera remind me of the time I found myself out in the countryside without my super-zoom bridge camera and saw a meadowlark on a fence post. This was back when I was pretty much glued to my sx50 during the summers (mostly for an eagle's nest).

I figured I might as well take the pic anyway. And I ended up with a composition I loved! I literally wouldn't have seen the cool chunk of sagebrush stuck to barbed wire by the fence post if I'd been zoomed in, let alone the fence, and both became part of the sense of place for the meadowlark singing its heart out.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby Matt Quinn » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:08 am

LindaShorey wrote:#2 sure is a beautiful setting and mood, with great tonal range too. Would love to see how #1 looks if cropped a bit, especially from the top and right side.

These somewhat distant shots and your mention of lack of "real" camera remind me of the time I found myself out in the countryside without my super-zoom bridge camera and saw a meadowlark on a fence post. This was back when I was pretty much glued to my sx50 during the summers (mostly for an eagle's nest).

I figured I might as well take the pic anyway. And I ended up with a composition I loved! I literally wouldn't have seen the cool chunk of sagebrush stuck to barbed wire by the fence post if I'd been zoomed in, let alone the fence, and both became part of the sense of place for the meadowlark singing its heart out.

Your wish.... Matt

swan edit for Linda (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:15 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Your wish.... Matt

So attractively balanced and pleasing. What do YOU think, Matt?
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby Matt Quinn » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:18 pm

Linda, On my iPhone screen, it looks good but on my iMac, it’s muddy. No details in the black. I found an article on ETTR and am trying to use the histogram to capture those details. I took some shots in the nearby woods this morning as an experiment. I may go back to the swans if the rain stops. Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:32 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Linda, On my iPhone screen, it looks good but on my iMac, it’s muddy. No details in the black. I found an article on ETTR and am trying to use the histogram to capture those details. I took some shots in the nearby woods this morning as an experiment. I may go back to the swans if the rain stops. Thanks. Matt

I wondered how a texture and some adjustments to the white would look. I pm'd you the result. But I know you're not big on special effects, and you're in Minnie's camp re blocked up blacks, so it may not be your cuppa :)

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby Matt Quinn » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:16 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:Linda, On my iPhone screen, it looks good but on my iMac, it’s muddy. No details in the black. I found an article on ETTR and am trying to use the histogram to capture those details. I took some shots in the nearby woods this morning as an experiment. I may go back to the swans if the rain stops. Thanks. Matt

I wondered how a texture and some adjustments to the white would look. I pm'd you the result. But I know you're not big on special effects, and you're in Minnie's camp re blocked up blacks, so it may not be your cuppa :)

Linda, Here are two experiments with ETTR from my morning walk. There is still some muddiness in the blacks, but I am willing to accept that for the benefit of the overall effect. What do you think ? I have lost the baseplate for my tripod, so these are slightly blurry due to the breeze. A new one is in the mail and I will go back to try again. Matt
Experiments in ETTR (1 of 2).jpg
Experiments in ETTR (2 of 2).jpg
Matt Quinn

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:21 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Linda, Here are two experiments with ETTR from my morning walk. There is still some muddiness in the blacks, but I am willing to accept that for the benefit of the overall effect. What do you think ? I have lost the baseplate for my tripod, so these are slightly blurry due to the breeze. A new one is in the mail and I will go back to try again.

#2 seems brighter in the light tones though I see it has less exposure (1/25 sec vs. 1/15). Hard to judge the muddiness with the small details, I think. Also, there are others much more experienced with ETTR and who have better eyesight and viewing devices than I also :)

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:36 am

I very much like the second shot of the swans with the fountain. It's very dramatic and well composed. The "print quality" looks excellent. (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby St3v3M » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:30 pm

I'm reminded that the best camera is your eyes, but I'm glad you had your phone with you. These are wonderful as are the ETTRs.

You inspired me to learn more so I posted this Exposing to the Right Explained. Thank you for posting these! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Animals & Wildlife”