"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Member's ShowcaseCat-Faced Tree Spider, Araneus gemma, with a Cell Phone

Wild animals are a great challenge to photograph. Always unpredictable with rich payoffs.
- Wild animals of any type, non-domestic animals in their natural habitats, even wildlife in captivity.
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Cat-Faced Tree Spider, Araneus gemma, with a Cell Phone

Postby Charles Haacker » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:32 am

Made with the camera we all seem to mostly have with us in the phones that are smarter than we are. :lol: She was workin' her snare right on the front of the garbage bin and the trashmen (wasn't that a band once?) were marching determinedly to destroy her happy little home (but she'd been pretty much skunked anyway which, as a dismal fisherman myself, I sympathize). I had little time so whipped out my trusty Huwei Nexus 6p and cranked off a series of shots kinda backwards and upside down. This one was sharp. It's been cropped considerable. I think the cat face is upside down.
Attachments
Cat FacedTree Spider, Araneus gemma.EM(lr).jpg
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus

Re: Cat-Faced Tree Spider, Araneus gemma, with a Cell Phone

Postby Matt Quinn » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:47 am

Oh, the treasures one finds in the trash. Indeed, a happy cat, not large enough to eat a canary, but satisfied with what it has gotten. Great detail. Good capture. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby LindaShorey » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:04 pm

Love it!! The shadow really makes the picture, along with the sharpness of the ultra-cool arachnid. Thanks so much for posting, Chuck.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

PietFrancke
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby PietFrancke » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:52 pm

I am amazed at how well the shot turned out with that tiny cell phone sensor. Good job Chuck!!

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:25 pm

Very nice spider portrait, Chuck. I don't quite understand why she's named cat-faced, but that's OK too, I can enjoy her grand detail without knowing why she was so named.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Charles Haacker » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:40 am

Matt Quinn wrote:Oh, the treasures one finds in the trash. Indeed, a happy cat, not large enough to eat a canary, but satisfied with what it has gotten. Great detail. Good capture. Matt
Thank you, Matt! I was working on the processing when my arachnophobic son happened by and glanced at the screen. :o
LindaShorey wrote:Love it!! The shadow really makes the picture, along with the sharpness of the ultra-cool arachnid. Thanks so much for posting, Chuck.
Thanks, Linda. I liked the shadow too. I thought it gave depth.
PietFrancke wrote:I am amazed at how well the shot turned out with that tiny cell phone sensor. Good job Chuck!!
Thanks, Piet. I'm surprised too. I would have gone for my real camera but there was no time, so I thought what the hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained. :)
minniev wrote:Very nice spider portrait, Chuck. I don't quite understand why she's named cat-faced, but that's OK too, I can enjoy her grand detail without knowing why she was so named.
Thanks Min! I think the cat face is in the markings on the abdomen, but I can't quite tell if it should be looked at upside down or right side up. Looked at right side up I think I can see eyes, feline nose, and whiskers. Maybe. Or not. :|
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:23 am

I love fun shots like these, and that you were happy to help! Great job with the cellphone! I hope to see more of these! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Animals & Wildlife”