Member's ShowcaseWings and backlighting

Wild animals are a great challenge to photograph. Always unpredictable with rich payoffs.
- Wild animals of any type, non-domestic animals in their natural habitats, even wildlife in captivity.
WingShooter
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Wings and backlighting

Postby WingShooter » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:10 pm

Experimenting with light angle to get back lighting on the wings.
Attachments
Backlit Halloween Pennant Dragonfly.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Wings and backlighting

Postby minniev » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:16 am

Oh, that's another good dragon! This one looks like she's holding on for dear life in a dragonfly windstorm! The delicacy and golden crystalline effect on the wings is just gorgeous. This is wonderfully sharp, rich in detauk and in color.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

WingShooter
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Postby WingShooter » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:11 am

Yes minnie, She was hanging on to that twig as the wind was give me fits trying to keeping her in focus. I had to shoot several bursts and hope one would be in good focus.

minniev wrote:Oh, that's another good dragon! This one looks like she's holding on for dear life in a dragonfly windstorm! The delicacy and golden crystalline effect on the wings is just gorgeous. This is wonderfully sharp, rich in detauk and in color.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:29 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup: Along with all the other stuff I say, I often say, "There is no light like back light." (No shame in shooting bursts of a moving target, by the way; I'm just glad it isn't burning film and proce$$ing any more! ;) )
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

WingShooter
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Postby WingShooter » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:39 pm

But Chuck, You pay up front with the costly camera and I love it.

Charles Haacker wrote::thumbup: :thumbup: Along with all the other stuff I say, I often say, "There is no light like back light." (No shame in shooting bursts of a moving target, by the way; I'm just glad it isn't burning film and proce$$ing any more! ;) )

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:13 pm

WingShooter wrote:But Chuck, You pay up front with the costly camera and I love it.

True that, but we always did. Allowing for inflation the price of good gear has actually gone down over the years. When digital first came in there was a terrific spike because the tech was so new, but I bought my first really good 35mm, a Nikon F2AS about 1967, 50 years ago. I can't find the exact price of that body-only, but it was probably around $500 USD. $500.00 in 1967 had the same buying power as $3,669.18 in 2017. Your crop-sensor D500 today sells (body only) for somewhere around half that depending on the retailer, and I know you also have a full-frame (no idea what that cost). I have so far stuck with compacts, the $pendiest of which (my Sony RX10) has an MSRP around $1,500 new. I actually paid $500 for it gently used with 4 batteries and love it to pieces. Had I been able to buy that camera in 1967 it would have retailed for around $200 bucks! And then it would have required film and processing and yada yada. We're doin' pretty good at the moment. :D
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Ceropegia » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:52 pm

A stunning capture! Minnie said it far better than I could!
Martha
In the Appalachian foothills of Northeast Alabama

http://www.ipernity.com/home/picture_taker

WingShooter
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Postby WingShooter » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:17 pm

I would catch the outdated film on sale from .25 to .10 a roll. I could not use it all so my local camera store would get credit from Kodak and all they wanted was the silver recovery. I sold enough to get a F1 body and motor drive.

Charles Haacker wrote:
WingShooter wrote:But Chuck, You pay up front with the costly camera and I love it.

True that, but we always did. Allowing for inflation the price of good gear has actually gone down over the years. When digital first came in there was a terrific spike because the tech was so new, but I bought my first really good 35mm, a Nikon F2AS about 1967, 50 years ago. I can't find the exact price of that body-only, but it was probably around $500 USD. $500.00 in 1967 had the same buying power as $3,669.18 in 2017. Your crop-sensor D500 today sells (body only) for somewhere around half that depending on the retailer, and I know you also have a full-frame (no idea what that cost). I have so far stuck with compacts, the $pendiest of which (my Sony RX10) has an MSRP around $1,500 new. I actually paid $500 for it gently used with 4 batteries and love it to pieces. Had I been able to buy that camera in 1967 it would have retailed for around $200 bucks! And then it would have required film and processing and yada yada. We're doin' pretty good at the moment. :D

WingShooter
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Postby WingShooter » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:19 pm

Thanks Martha for looking and the comment.

Ceropegia wrote:A stunning capture! Minnie said it far better than I could!

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:18 pm

Fantastic image, worthy of publication in a nature magazine for sure.

Welcome to photoMENTORIS, by the way. :)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Animals & Wildlife”