Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better." - Pat Riley

― Architecture ShowcaseMr. Belvedere, I presume?

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Mr. Belvedere, I presume?

Post by Duck » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:06 pm

Wikipedia wrote:Belvedere Castle is a folly in Central Park in Manhattan, New York City. It contains exhibit rooms and an observation deck, and since 1919, also houses the official Central Park weather station. Its name comes from belvedere, which means "beautiful view" in Italian.

The castle caps Vista Rock, a 130-foot-tall outcropping of schist and the park's second-highest natural elevation. Constructed of Manhattan schist quarried in the park and dressed with gray granite, it tops the natural-looking woodlands of The Ramble, as seen from the formal Bethesda Terrace. The Castle serves now as a visitor center and gift shop.

Last Friday I took a trip into Central Park with a friend of mine for a location scouting session. He's doing a street photography tour with some photo friends of his. Since I was more familiar with the area than he was I wanted to show him some of the more picturesque areas of the park. The trip was to culminate at the castle. Unfortunately for us the castle was closed to the public for some overdue renovations. I should have done my homework better I suppose. At least I was able to get these gorgeous shots of the place.

I debated removing the background buildings in the second shot but ultimately decided against it. My thought was that while it would have enhanced the castle, anyone familiar with such an iconic view would immediately know the buildings were missing. Anyhow, enjoy the views.

Unitas_Photography-Belvedere.jpg
Unitas_Photography-Belvedere2.jpg
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:32 am

Lovely scene. I think you were right to leave the other buildings in. They balance the composition while still taking a background role and don’t detract from the star of the show.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:39 am

Thanks Minnie. I guess my desire to really isolate the structure causes the background to influence my view more than others who look at it.

I really am more than pleased with this and it's now a wallpaper on my laptop.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage