― Architecture ShowcaseA Rework

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

A Rework

Post by rmalarz » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:06 pm

I've reworked an image taken at the beginning of the year. While mentally wandering around the processing procedures I use, I came up with an idea. If we can expose/develop Zonally, why not "print" using the same methods of controlling the Zonal levels of the image. Instead of brightening/darkening the entire range of the image, why not do it Zonally? That should offer much better control. Coupled with ETTR/EBTR capture techniques it seems to work rather well. Perhaps the workings of a sick mind, but I've not been committed... yet.

Oh, it's a bit time intensive, but I'll trade time for quality any day of the week.
--Bob
Attachments
D800-2018010101-002.jpg
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:46 pm

it looks great, now for an easy way to do this. I assume that if something is in zone 6, the goal is to keep it there, but to spread out the zone 6 values within it's zone? And then do the next... Seems like you need (or use?) a mask that identifies a given zone allowing you to manipulate it isolated from the rest. This image looks fantastic!

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by rmalarz » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:55 pm

Thanks for looking and checking in with a comment.

That's correct, Piet. The processing involves using masks to isolate the various Zones. Then adjustments are made within those selected areas, essentially not affecting the neighboring Zones. However, there is a bit of fuzziness regarding the boundaries of the masks to avoid sharp boundary limits being visible in the final "print".
--Bob

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:29 pm

rmalarz wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:06 pm
I've reworked an image taken at the beginning of the year. While mentally wandering around the processing procedures I use, I came up with an idea. If we can expose/develop Zonally, why not "print" using the same methods of controlling the Zonal levels of the image. Instead of brightening/darkening the entire range of the image, why not do it Zonally? That should offer much better control. Coupled with ETTR/EBTR capture techniques it seems to work rather well. Perhaps the workings of a sick mind, but I've not been committed... yet.

Oh, it's a bit time intensive, but I'll trade time for quality any day of the week.
--Bob
I pulled up the first rendition, and am hard put to say which I like better, though this one has some new zip in areas like the flags. The slightly gloomier version from rendition #1 is also spookier and has a bit more "atmosphere" as in "Something Wicked This Way Comes." I'm nonethless impressed with what you've done, and am curious what you mean when you say you are printing using methods of zonal control as opposed to developing with those controls. Then I may ask other questions later.. (if I get any internet service in BC where I'm headed tomorrow).
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:41 am

Oh boy. This I have to learn. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by rmalarz » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:08 am

Minnie and Matt, thanks for stopping by and commenting. This takes a good deal of "madness", but it's worth it.
--Bob

pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by pop511 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:00 am

Is this of any use?
Action: Luminosity Masks:
Not always something for the feint hearted, but rewarding when completed. Best to practice first if unsure. Remember: When writing an action it records what you do, NOT time in between.
A good idea is to make a new action set, otherwise it will put new action into "default actions".
Record:
Load a picture into window, it doesn't matter what it is.
Actions/new action/give name eg: Lum_Masks.
Go to channels and /ctrl/alt/click RGB icon- save alpha channel ( icon at bottom of pallet )
L/Click alpha channel, hold ctrl/alt/shift. Click ONCE on alpha channel and save as alpha channel
Again click on new channel and do same as above. Do it once more. You now should have 3 alpha channels.
Rename new channels as Light/lighter/lightest.
Go back to RGB channel and ctrl/alt/click
Go to "select" which is at the top of P/S window and select "inverse"
Click on new alpha channel. Do same as above by ctrl/alt/shift on new channels till you get 3 channels. Rename dark/darker/darkest. Ctrl/click on RGB channel. Go back to layer window. Press ctrl/D to deselect selection. Press "stop recording" Done!
If practicing, close picture and reopen, or you may be left with some commands altered, and you don't want that!
To select alpha channel onto layer, Ctrl/click on alpha thumbnail picture, it will load it as a selection.
If using a brush. In layers pallet R/click on mask "add layer mask to selection". Click back on layer, otherwise brush tool will paint everything. You can use any of the other selection tools.Although if using filters or plug in filters this step is not needed. The filters will not show the area you want to work on only but will show complete picture, but don't worry, when run, filter is only applied to selected area(s).
ed
ed davis

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by rmalarz » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:24 pm

I'm not sure what you are getting at with this, nor to whom you are replying. It looks impressive though.
--Bob

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:52 am

What do you think about making a quick tutorial? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"