"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

― Architecture ShowcaseMy Corner Office

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: My Corner Office

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:34 pm

Looks nice a cozy. I do like the texture added.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:45 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:34 pm
Looks nice a cozy. I do like the texture added.
Thanks Ernst, glad you liked it and I appreciate the feedback on the texture.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:29 am

minniev wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:49 pm
Here's my "office" in my new/old house, the southwest corner of the living room with an old gateleg table for a desk, a spot for my ipad and its keyboard, and a bamboo basket to hold the camera, cards, cords and such as that. I took this at sunset when I saw the breeze lifting that curtain and I wanted to hold the moment. I processed it in my ultra slim PP routine - LRCC plus a few plugins like snapseed and one that does textures. In your view does the texture add or detract, and can such simple scenes have interest to anyone besides me? Now that I'm home, I can do more with PS, so welcome suggestions.

Nice inviting scene, Minnie !!! Looks cozy and relaxing. I'm curious, is that a window or a doorway? I don't remember seeing windows at ground level.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:43 pm

davechinn wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:29 am
minniev wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:49 pm
Here's my "office" in my new/old house, the southwest corner of the living room with an old gateleg table for a desk, a spot for my ipad and its keyboard, and a bamboo basket to hold the camera, cards, cords and such as that. I took this at sunset when I saw the breeze lifting that curtain and I wanted to hold the moment. I processed it in my ultra slim PP routine - LRCC plus a few plugins like snapseed and one that does textures. In your view does the texture add or detract, and can such simple scenes have interest to anyone besides me? Now that I'm home, I can do more with PS, so welcome suggestions.

Nice inviting scene, Minnie !!! Looks cozy and relaxing. I'm curious, is that a window or a doorway? I don't remember seeing windows at ground level.
Dave
It’s a great work spot. That’s a window. We have those old 9 ft windows across the front. Of course the house isn’t at ground level anyway but up 3-4 ft off the ground on brickwork support posts.

mikec
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by mikec » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:18 pm

Great photo. But...I don't know how you can work in such a small area,I would have my stuff on the floor.
Mike C
Enjoying the sun and sea in Miami, FL

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:48 am

I have to echo everyone's sentiments on this one. The scene is quiet and reflective and that little hint of movement comes across quite clearly. It's definitely warm and inviting but in a respectful way, not somber or intrusive. Kind of like visiting grandma's house while the rest of the family is in the kitchen and you are alone in another part of the house. Or coming inside to get some cool air when everyone else is outside in the backyard. Not quite solitary but also not expecting anyone else to step in. I can almost hear the muffled chatter of conversation filtering in through the open window.

I love the treatment. The texture clearly enhances the overall look and feel of the room, without needlessly aging it. I also like that the shadows are there but not so dark the detail gets lost. Feels very natural. A very contemplative scene.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:15 pm

mikec wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:18 pm
Great photo. But...I don't know how you can work in such a small area,I would have my stuff on the floor.
:) thanks Mike. This is my weekend home, and I cannot claim such a spartan workstation on a regular basis. My full time home lets me have an entire room for all my photo junk, and I love that big workspace, but I needed a corner in this second house for photography so I"ve been developing a very simple mobile workflow to accommodate to it. If I ever decide to move there full time, things would change I'm sure.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:20 pm

Duck wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:48 am
I have to echo everyone's sentiments on this one. The scene is quiet and reflective and that little hint of movement comes across quite clearly. It's definitely warm and inviting but in a respectful way, not somber or intrusive. Kind of like visiting grandma's house while the rest of the family is in the kitchen and you are alone in another part of the house. Or coming inside to get some cool air when everyone else is outside in the backyard. Not quite solitary but also not expecting anyone else to step in. I can almost hear the muffled chatter of conversation filtering in through the open window.

I love the treatment. The texture clearly enhances the overall look and feel of the room, without needlessly aging it. I also like that the shadows are there but not so dark the detail gets lost. Feels very natural. A very contemplative scene.
Thanks Duck, for a thoughtful critique that answers my questions. Since it is indeed my grandma's house, reclaimed by me now that I'm the grandma, and that is exactly the mood I was trying to capture. Even when I'm the only one there, it is alive with the echos of other voices over the past 120 years.

I'm still fiddling with editing tools that can be used on a mobile workflow while I'm away from my computer, internet, printer, and all my goodies. Texture is one thing I love working with but am still refining a way to do on the ipad. I'm trying not to invest in a new laptop if I can master a short term tablet workflow, knowing that my regular workstation is waiting for me eventually.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:22 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:20 pm
I'm still fiddling with editing tools that can be used on a mobile workflow while I'm away from my computer, internet, printer, and all my goodies. Texture is one thing I love working with but am still refining a way to do on the ipad. I'm trying not to invest in a new laptop if I can master a short term tablet workflow, knowing that my regular workstation is waiting for me eventually.

I don't know if it's just my biases or if it's because technology just isn't here yet, but I hesitate going into the tablet platform because of a couple reasons; First, I'm never more than a few hours from a larger platform. I have a 17" gaming laptop that has been my go to mobile station for several years (soon to be upgraded) that has all the capabilities of a desktop workstation. While tablets have become more powerful, they rely on slimmed down versions of software and a workflow that relies more on cloud service than ever before. I'm not against using cloud service, so long as you have access. Once a connection is lost, accessing data becomes impossible. You then have to rely on what's natively on the tablet or go seek out a connection. In that case, you have to wait for a connection and, for me, it's the same as waiting to get home to do the work. But then, I'm not a globe trotting photographer that needs to get images delivered pronto. If that were the case I'd be singing a different tune now. :-)

Either way, there are limitations and knowing what those limitations are allows you to plan when and where to do what with an image. Primarily the lack of processing power on smaller devices makes time drag longer. Simple tasks become a chore compared to a faster computer. Or in the image above, for example, with your use of textures; that requires a sizeable library of textures to have access to. All that takes memory. Yes, you can store them all on the cloud for use anywhere, but that takes time to download, use, dump (if it's not the right one), download again, etc. I'm sure there are other more pressing things that can be done when you're on the go. When I was in Ireland, for example, I did not edit a single image until I returned to the states a week later. not that I couldn't have done the editing there, I just felt that part of the process was a waste of time when I could be spending it capturing the sights I'll likely never see again. But, of course, everyone has different needs and, as I said, it is my own bias.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:02 pm

Duck wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:22 pm

I don't know if it's just my biases or if it's because technology just isn't here yet, but I hesitate going into the tablet platform because of a couple reasons; First, I'm never more than a few hours from a larger platform. I have a 17" gaming laptop that has been my go to mobile station for several years (soon to be upgraded) that has all the capabilities of a desktop workstation. While tablets have become more powerful, they rely on slimmed down versions of software and a workflow that relies more on cloud service than ever before. I'm not against using cloud service, so long as you have access. Once a connection is lost, accessing data becomes impossible. You then have to rely on what's natively on the tablet or go seek out a connection. In that case, you have to wait for a connection and, for me, it's the same as waiting to get home to do the work. But then, I'm not a globe trotting photographer that needs to get images delivered pronto. If that were the case I'd be singing a different tune now. :-)

Either way, there are limitations and knowing what those limitations are allows you to plan when and where to do what with an image. Primarily the lack of processing power on smaller devices makes time drag longer. Simple tasks become a chore compared to a faster computer. Or in the image above, for example, with your use of textures; that requires a sizeable library of textures to have access to. All that takes memory. Yes, you can store them all on the cloud for use anywhere, but that takes time to download, use, dump (if it's not the right one), download again, etc. I'm sure there are other more pressing things that can be done when you're on the go. When I was in Ireland, for example, I did not edit a single image until I returned to the states a week later. not that I couldn't have done the editing there, I just felt that part of the process was a waste of time when I could be spending it capturing the sights I'll likely never see again. But, of course, everyone has different needs and, as I said, it is my own bias.
You've probably seen my posts about this alternate workflow. My main library and all my toys are on my main computer. The tablet workflow is for travel. I store newly captured files on the tablet, cull, do minimal work (what's covered in LRCC), and bring home to my regular computer. Once home, the raw files automatically upload to Adobe cloud and download into my main LR catalog with the initial LR edits while I'm unpacking. When Adobe cloud begins to fill, I delete all those files from Cloud and they just stay on my main drive with the usual backup system. This is all very fast and takes no real effort now that I've set it up. The images like this one, with textures and layers, are still in my experimental set, using some layer based tablet apps and textures plus a pencil, but I"m not very good with it yet. It will never replace the tools of a "real" computer for me, but it frees me up from dragging my heavy old laptop around (talk about SLOW!), or buying a new one. But I enjoy editing on my big bright monitor too much to make a tablet more than an ancillary system.

I'll really put it to the test when I go to British Columbia next month.