The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday. – unknown

― Architecture ShowcaseLetchworth Village in Thiells, New York

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Letchworth Village in Thiells, New York

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu May 03, 2018 7:28 pm

Love the b&w. Do you convert in PS? Do you use Silver Effex?

Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Duck » Thu May 03, 2018 8:36 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 7:28 pm
Love the b&w. Do you convert in PS? Do you use Silver Effex?

Matt
I just reinstalled the NIK collection so these were done in SEP2. To be honest though, I don't see anything in SEP2 that I can't do in Lightroom and Photoshop so I really don't see the hy[e over Silver Effects Pro. Unless, of course, I'm missing something.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun May 06, 2018 1:09 am

I was born in NYC (Manhattan, Jewish Memorial Hospital, upper Broadway). When I was 8 we moved to Palisades, on the "Jersey side" of the Hudson, less than 20 miles SSE of this horror that I never knew existed. That's probably just as well. I did a little research and discovered that, for example, the polio vaccine I received when I was about 10 had first been tested on human children in this facility. What the article didn't say is that after being vaccinated I must assume the helpless unresisting kids were then exposed to live virus to make sure the vaccine worked. (SMH)

I like the extreme Dutch tilt on the first shot. It speaks to the dark soul of the place.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun May 06, 2018 2:12 am

Thanks, Charles. I appreciate you coming by to look.
I agree, the back story to this place is horrific. It's a shame these residents (kids mostly from what I garther) had to be subjected to this form of experimentation.
It amazes me how we can make such great strides in mechanical and technical development yet lag so far behind in human development.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sun May 06, 2018 3:16 am

Duck wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 7:22 am
PietFrancke wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 2:02 am
Good. If I had to guess, you spent a lot of time there. :lol: :lol:
Yes, I spent a good part of the day. We left about 4pm leaving me an hour's rest before attending a networking event that evening. Quite the busy day for me.

Here are some more images.

Unitas_Photography-Lenchworth-11.jpg
Unitas_Photography-Lenchworth-12.jpg
Unitas_Photography-Lenchworth-13.jpg
These are creepily wonderful images. More stills from horror movies. The first one is very intriguing, with that reverse vignette, the dead trees and the sepia toning. This place has endless possibilities. I would get obsessed with it. I was obsessed with an old college about an hour away, till they tore down the ruins. Decadent buildings are my favorite man-made thing to photograph.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:41 pm

Duck wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 6:08 pm
Letchworth Village is currently an abandoned mental health facility in the Palisades region of New York, just a few minutes south of Cold Spring. As with so many sanitariums, this one went through it's various horror stories of abuse, experimentation, disregard for human decency and the social abandonment of the misfortunate people who were regarded as unwanted and disposable. Surprisingly enough, this facility lasted well into the 1990s, finally shutting its doors in 1996. You can read about its history on Wikipedia. It is now a publicly accessible walking park through and around the various still standing buildings. You just can't enter them or climb over any barriers. Police do take notice and will arrest anyone without a second thought.

I had the good fortune of visiting the location this past weekend with a Meetup group run by a good friend of mine, Sue. Here are some outtakes from the day's foray onto these hallowed grounds, including a nearby cemetery where residents were interred without so much as a name plate for fear of 'shaming' their families. Sad.
The first is perfectly composed making it as spooky as ever, but I really love the second and that black and white.

I hope you will share more of these with us! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"