The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday. – unknown

― Architecture ShowcaseThe New Windsor Hotel, Phoenix, Az.

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

The New Windsor Hotel, Phoenix, Az.

Post by rmalarz » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:57 pm

In 1881, Phoenix was incorporated as a city. One of the first of several important events which revolutionized the economy of Phoenix was the establishment of a railroad system in the 1880s. Phoenix thus became the most important trade center in Arizona. In 1888, the city offices were moved into a new City Hall, at Washington Street and Central Avenue and in 1889, the territorial capital was moved from the town of Prescott to Phoenix. When the territorial capital was moved from Prescott to Phoenix in 1889 the temporary territorial offices were also located in City Hall.

The need for the establishment of hotels and living quarters was apparent. In 1893, Phoenix pioneer and businessman A.D. Walsh had a hotel built in the corner of what is now known as 6th Avenue and Adams Street and named it the 6th Avenue Hotel. The proper address of the building, which originally was a two-story brick Victorian styled structure, is 546 W. Adams Street.

In 1925, the hotel was renamed the Windsor Hotel. In the 1930s the Windsor went through a remodeling process in which a third story was added. The third story brick structure has a stucco facade on the south and west walls. A front brick addition with casement windows mixed the Victorian architecture with a modern facade. In the 1950s, it was finally renamed the "New" Windsor Hotel.

No longer used as a hotel, it is now a low cost haven for the elderly poor in downtown Phoenix. -- Wikipedia

--Bob
Attachments
GVC2-20180040101-001.jpg
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:02 pm

"Air Cooled." Wonderful shot! (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by rmalarz » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:05 pm

Thank you very much for the visit and comment, Chuck. Greatly appreciated.
--Bob

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:09 pm

rmalarz wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:57 pm
In 1881, Phoenix was incorporated as a city. One of the first of several important events which revolutionized the economy of Phoenix was the establishment of a railroad system in the 1880s. Phoenix thus became the most important trade center in Arizona. In 1888, the city offices were moved into a new City Hall, at Washington Street and Central Avenue and in 1889, the territorial capital was moved from the town of Prescott to Phoenix. When the territorial capital was moved from Prescott to Phoenix in 1889 the temporary territorial offices were also located in City Hall.

The need for the establishment of hotels and living quarters was apparent. In 1893, Phoenix pioneer and businessman A.D. Walsh had a hotel built in the corner of what is now known as 6th Avenue and Adams Street and named it the 6th Avenue Hotel. The proper address of the building, which originally was a two-story brick Victorian styled structure, is 546 W. Adams Street.

In 1925, the hotel was renamed the Windsor Hotel. In the 1930s the Windsor went through a remodeling process in which a third story was added. The third story brick structure has a stucco facade on the south and west walls. A front brick addition with casement windows mixed the Victorian architecture with a modern facade. In the 1950s, it was finally renamed the "New" Windsor Hotel.

No longer used as a hotel, it is now a low cost haven for the elderly poor in downtown Phoenix. -- Wikipedia

--Bob
Nice architectural image with just enough grit. This could have been taken when the New Windsor was New, if not for the modern white truck back there. Thanks for the back story, it makes the image become more "real" for us.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by rmalarz » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:26 pm

Minnie, thanks for viewing and commenting. Part of the appearance is due to the time of day the photograph was taken, Just around sunset, the view is looking west. 23-second exposure at f/32. Processing was 4'25".

I was attempting to portray the appearance and feeling of the place and the location. It's pretty much a straight "print".
--Bob

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:39 am

I've been to some older towns and have seen progress move around them. This is wonderful as if it was shot one-hundred years ago! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by rmalarz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:22 am

Thanks, St3v3. Yup, this one corner seems to have had its clock stopped years ago.
--Bob