― Architecture ShowcaseMy first PS effort

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

My first PS effort

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:58 pm

Ta Da! Used Camera Raw Filter, Auto, then played with the curves in Properties, then exported to Topaz Studios, and used Georgia O'Keefe preset. Then exported back into LR. I feel like Harry Potter. Or Merlin might be more appropriate. Not particularly noteworthy other than that it worked. And I didn't use any foul language along the way. Thanks to Minnie for the encouragement to experiment. Matt
Church spire, Georgia O'Keefe (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:47 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:58 pm
Ta Da! Used Camera Raw Filter, Auto, then played with the curves in Properties, then exported to Topaz Studios, and used Georgia O'Keefe preset. Then exported back into LR. I feel like Harry Potter. Or Merlin might be more appropriate. Not particularly noteworthy other than that it worked. And I didn't use any foul language along the way. Thanks to Minnie for the encouragement to experiment. Matt
Yes! I'm proud of your experimentation. Set aside a little time to work on it every day if you can.

Now, go back to your photoshop version and drag one of those textures I sent you over the PS stack. (Your Topaz layer should have come back into PS, and saving should have taken it all back to LR intact as a PSD.) To reopen from LR as a PSD choose Open Original and all your layers will be there. If you find a texture you like but you want it to be black and white, just choose that layer and desaturate it.

Once you get the texture on the stack, play with different blend modes and opacity of the texture layer. That's the first step.

When I'm using Topaz Impression as a layer in a textured photo, I often turn off the texture part of the filter so it won't fight with the one I'm going to add.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:06 am

I'd enjoy seeing a regular BW version of this Matt.

However, don't stop playing.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:22 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:06 am
I'd enjoy seeing a regular BW version of this Matt.

However, don't stop playing.
As requested, Ernst. I would enjoy seeing how you would process this, if you wish. A learning experience. In PS, I did Camera Raw Filter, Auto, then some tweeking of the curves. The blur in the top right is the result of my novice attempt at the lasso tool; there were three short pieces of power lines and I tried to get rid of them. Matt
Church spire 2 for Ernst-2.jpg
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:51 pm

That's amazing! It really does look like it's being swallowed in magic. Love it!

I'm curious, how were you able to keep the left from phasing out? Was it a brush or something else? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:26 am

St3v3M wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:51 pm
That's amazing! It really does look like it's being swallowed in magic. Love it!

I'm curious, how were you able to keep the left from phasing out? Was it a brush or something else? S-
I just clicked on the preset in Topaz and Shazam! Magic happens when you close your eyes and point. Matt
Matt Quinn