― Architecture ShowcaseBahrain... 2007

English_Wolf
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Bahrain... 2007

Post by English_Wolf » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:59 pm

I went back to Bahrain 2007 and noticed that he small Shiite village near the Portuguese fort had been painted over in order to make the area more 'touristy'.

I do not know what it looks like today (10 years later) but I took a few captures of the are at the time. This is one of them.
Attachments
2007.png
When I think, the world ends. :o

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:36 pm

This is pretty sad stuff; desperate effort. Some folks probably spent a lot of time in the sun doing this. It suggests a cross between ancient Greece and Meso-America. Wonder whether any tourists showed up. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:16 pm

Well, they got it colorful alright, but the authenticity of their art leaves a bit to be desired. However, your capture of it shows it as it is. Thanks for sharing this moment that likely none of us will ever see.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:33 am

I was curious too and found this just to the right of the blue door.

Bahrain? There has to be a story there and I want to know more! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Psjunkie » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:53 am

Pretty interesting St3v3M

English_Wolf
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Post by English_Wolf » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:08 pm

As to Bahrain... The Portuguese fort is a tourist destination. The village not so much as it is really poor and had a bad reputation. I do not think this painting over idea changed the village reputation.

I have to say the reputation is not deserved, I was there numerous times alone or with individuals . No one paid attention to us one way or another.

The last time I went there, I was moving a female friend moving back to France. We went there to give away all her crockery and food she was not going to use. She was invited in (not me being as man). She had a grand old time sipping tea while I was cooking in the sun!!! :devil:

My wife (USN) and I stayed in Bahrain for almost two years. She and her crew were over worked and from time to time I took those who showed signs of stress in a tour of the island. The locals at first were weary but then, after a couple of visits, I was welcomed in the shops we stopped at to sample the local dates and other typical fruits (I do not speak Arabic) or food. When visiting historic sites from the fields of tombs to modern pottery artisan I was frequently offered tea and cookies while my ward(s) wandered around.

The largest crew I had with me was from a French frigate. I came with two buses full of sailors... 53 guys and gals. Needless to say that after we left some stores very little food was left.

Good times, back in 2004. As the war started... My wife kicked me out of the island as she was in charge of the civilian evacuation. I wanted and could have stayed (French passport and dual citizenship) but her argument was 'If I cannot control my husband, who else will claim dual citizenship?' so I went but I have never let her forget that one... :D
When I think, the world ends. :o

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:48 am

English_Wolf wrote:As to Bahrain... The Portuguese fort is a tourist destination. The village not so much as it is really poor and had a bad reputation. I do not think this painting over idea changed the village reputation.

I have to say the reputation is not deserved, I was there numerous times alone or with individuals . No one paid attention to us one way or another.

The last time I went there, I was moving a female friend moving back to France. We went there to give away all her crockery and food she was not going to use. She was invited in (not me being as man). She had a grand old time sipping tea while I was cooking in the sun!!! :devil:

My wife (USN) and I stayed in Bahrain for almost two years. She and her crew were over worked and from time to time I took those who showed signs of stress in a tour of the island. The locals at first were weary but then, after a couple of visits, I was welcomed in the shops we stopped at to sample the local dates and other typical fruits (I do not speak Arabic) or food. When visiting historic sites from the fields of tombs to modern pottery artisan I was frequently offered tea and cookies while my ward(s) wandered around.

The largest crew I had with me was from a French frigate. I came with two buses full of sailors... 53 guys and gals. Needless to say that after we left some stores very little food was left.

Good times, back in 2004. As the war started... My wife kicked me out of the island as she was in charge of the civilian evacuation. I wanted and could have stayed (French passport and dual citizenship) but her argument was 'If I cannot control my husband, who else will claim dual citizenship?' so I went but I have never let her forget that one... :D

This is amazing! I always love to hear about other places especially with personal stories added. Thank you so much for the backstory! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"