"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Alva Edison

― Architecture ShowcaseA view from the Old Post Office Tower

Carol W
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: A view from the Old Post Office Tower

Post by Carol W » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:54 am

Thank you for the positive feedback, Chuck. I definitely wanted pedestrians in the shot. I lucked out with these two because I like the way they are striding along with purpose, totally unaware of being watched from above. I also like the shoulder straps because they add a nice bit of detail.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:48 am

Wow, Carol. A grand cascade of windows and walls. Beautifully captured. The buildings almost look like they will tip forward. Cool perspective.

We lived near DC for 15 years and were in and out very often; this is a unique view that I doubt many would recognize as in DC. I thought it was NYC when I first saw the image and before I read anything. And even after reading, NYC still sticks in my mind. A good sign that there are no people on the benches or lounge chairs; all diligently at work at their desks, or headed there as are the two fellows below. The trees are in flower and the grass is spring green, so this must not have been in the past few months, I suspect. Well done. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Carol W
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Post by Carol W » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:32 am

Thank you, Matt. This was taken less than a month ago, in September. It was also early. We were there when the tower opened for the day. I've never been a city dweller so I was amazed at all the gardens so high up. It shows that we all have a need to connect with nature!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by St3v3M » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:01 am

The angle of the shot feels like it's an Escher and the processing made me think it was a drawing until I saw the little people. Wow, absolutely wow! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:14 pm

Carol W wrote:On a recent trip to Washington, DC, I had the opportunity to visit the Old Post Office Tower on Pennsylvania Ave. Photography is difficult because the open area at the top is enclosed with either closely spaced steel cables or smudgy plexiglass. You can't hold your camera out to improve the perspective and it is hard to defeat the visibility of the steel cables. This shot is the one I like best from this adventure. Comments and suggestions are welcome. I probably won't have the opportunity to re-shoot but you never know when there will be a different opportunity.0CW_5907 sized.jpg

That is an attention grabber. My eye chases the detail downwards and there I find the Little People. I am drawn to include figures of Little People in landscapes, and here they work very nicely in a cityscape/architectural image. Well spotted, and you've mitigated the challenges well. It is frustrating but fun to try and dream up ways to work around obstacles such as you had here. I am almost never of the school that says if conditions aren't perfect, you walk away. Like you, I try to find the best way to work around what's impeding me on-site, then secondarily in post. Thanks for sharing this cool image and also the story behind the capture.

Agree a jigsaw puzzle would work well, I usually make up 2-3 photos a year in puzzles, as my husband enjoys them.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Carol W
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Post by Carol W » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:05 pm

Thank you for your positive feedback, Steve. I think it would only have been half the picture without the little people!

Carol W
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Post by Carol W » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:10 pm

Minnie, thank you for your encouraging words. At the start, I didn't know if I could make anything out of it or not. My pp skills are limited (but improving). My first inclination was to do a close up of the section of the building with the gardens. Once I looked down and saw the awnings and people moving below I was hooked to do something with the entire face of the building.

JLemmon
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by JLemmon » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm

Carol W wrote:Thank you, Linda, and you're right that the people don't initially attract much attention. When I shot it and also when processing, I knew it was very important to keep them in the shot for scale. I find my eyes sliding down to that corner after a few seconds but that may be because I know they are there.

I love that you kept them in for scale. You're right, that is important and I didn't think of it.

I am drawn to the hidden gardens. I've never lived in a big city before so something like this intrigues me.

Great image!