"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Alva Edison

― Architecture ShowcaseA view from the Old Post Office Tower

Carol W
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

A view from the Old Post Office Tower

Post by Carol W » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:39 pm

On a recent trip to Washington, DC, I had the opportunity to visit the Old Post Office Tower on Pennsylvania Ave. Photography is difficult because the open area at the top is enclosed with either closely spaced steel cables or smudgy plexiglass. You can't hold your camera out to improve the perspective and it is hard to defeat the visibility of the steel cables. This shot is the one I like best from this adventure. Comments and suggestions are welcome. I probably won't have the opportunity to re-shoot but you never know when there will be a different opportunity.
0CW_5907 sized.jpg
A view of rooftop gardens from the top of the tower.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:55 pm

This image has so much going for it, Carol. First, the geometry and varying heights of the buildings and all the shapes and lines from the windows and so forth. Then, the contrast between bits of green oasis and the cold concrete structures. And one more neat surprise: the tiny people striding past on the sidewalk. I think it's a wonderful shot!

I wonder if directing our attention to the people and sidewalk by a bit of lightening the area would add anything, or if it's best to let us just discover them as we work our way down :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Carol W
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Post by Carol W » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Thank you, Linda, and you're right that the people don't initially attract much attention. When I shot it and also when processing, I knew it was very important to keep them in the shot for scale. I find my eyes sliding down to that corner after a few seconds but that may be because I know they are there.

Bob Yankle
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Bob Yankle » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:35 pm

The vertical drop almost takes one's breath away. The off-kilter alignment allows for capturing a wealth of real estate.

Carol W
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Post by Carol W » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:50 pm

I'm glad you like it, Bob. The constraints at the top of the tower really made it difficult to get a shot like this. If it had been easy, I might have missed the impact of this perspective!

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:30 pm

Nothing to not like about this image Carol W....the lighting gives a lot of impact for me.

Carol W
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Post by Carol W » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:09 pm

Thank you! I was lucky that everything worked out as it did. It was fairly early in the morning which I think helped the mood.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by Duck » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:28 pm

Altho the field of view feels a little constricted (side to side) I personally like this image. It's a perspective you don't see too often. As for the people in the corner... I view it as a nice little payoff after wending your way down the facade of the building, taking in all the little details. Speaking of details, I love those little patches of nature on the rooftops.

This would make a killer jigsaw puzzle, by the way.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Carol W
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Post by Carol W » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:13 pm

I really like the jigsaw puzzle idea! I had a vision of sorts as to what I wanted when I shot this and it turned out better than I expected. The conditions were not very friendly. I was also a little concerned about the perspective but decided I liked it.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:26 am

I think its masterful, especially considering overcoming the challenge(s). The two tiny figures walking beneath the marquee provide perfect scale. Did you wait for them?
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|