“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Member's ShowcaseUnder The Bridge Architecture - Some By Human and Some Not

Our man-made structures are works of marvel and awe.
- Buildings, homes, bridges, airports and structures of all kinds can be posted here.
minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Under The Bridge Architecture - Some By Human and Some Not

Postby minniev » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:36 pm

I couldn't find the right place for these, taken under a local highway bridge this morning. All of them are architecture but two of them are not built entirely by human architects. I expect the winged and feathered builders have been perfecting their designs longer than the bridge designers have though.
Attachments
uba (1 of 1)-2.jpg
uba (1 of 1).jpg
uba (1 of 1)-3.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Re: Under The Bridge Architecture - Some By Human and Some Not

Postby PietFrancke » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:46 pm

Pretty interesting shots with a good theme. I like the red counterpunch in the reflection shot.

I assume the bottom one is a bird nest?

The top one I am more familiar with. Those wasps capture spiders and paralyze them stuff them in there. Then the wasp larvae eat the spiders alive. This is about the most gruesome "nature" thing that I am aware of. These are very typical under decks up against cement/cinderblock walls. I peeled some off once and photographed macro spider legs stuffed together - that shot I called "catacombs"...

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:51 pm

They are all good, fascinating pictures. I think the third is a swallow's nest. I've seen them in clusters sometimes. At first I thought the first one was also swallows until Piet mentioned wasps. I immediately looked up (how did we live before the internet) mud daubers and there they were, more than one type but yours prominent among them. The middle one is captivating with its wonderfully wiggly reflections and the single bright red bobber calmly floating in the slack water. Lovely set! :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:09 am

PietFrancke wrote:Pretty interesting shots with a good theme. I like the red counterpunch in the reflection shot.

I assume the bottom one is a bird nest?

The top one I am more familiar with. Those wasps capture spiders and paralyze them stuff them in there. Then the wasp larvae eat the spiders alive. This is about the most gruesome "nature" thing that I am aware of. These are very typical under decks up against cement/cinderblock walls. I peeled some off once and photographed macro spider legs stuffed together - that shot I called "catacombs"...

Thanks Piet. I liked that little bobber too. The bottom one is a swallow's next I think. I remember catacombs! I will have to revisit it for another look. Nature can be pretty gruesome indeed. I expect Mrs. Spider would do the same to the dirt daubers if she had the opportunity. After all, think what she does to her own husband.

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:12 am

Charles Haacker wrote:They are all good, fascinating pictures. I think the third is a swallow's nest. I've seen them in clusters sometimes. At first I thought the first one was also swallows until Piet mentioned wasps. I immediately looked up (how did we live before the internet) mud daubers and there they were, more than one type but yours prominent among them. The middle one is captivating with its wonderfully wiggly reflections and the single bright red bobber calmly floating in the slack water. Lovely set! :thumbup:

Thanks Chuck. Yes, the last is a swallow's next, common under the bridges. The elements of their architecture is so fascinating, and has much in common with things humans build - symmetry, pattern, shape, balance.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby LindaShorey » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:55 am

The theme is fascinating and would be great fun to do as a challenge or share thread. Both cliff swallows and barn swallows build mud nests under eaves and bridges (and other structures). I've seen nest colonies here packed together by the dozens. Your reflection shot is very enjoyable - a great example of how interest can be elevated by inclusion of even a tiny additional element - especially if red :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:20 pm

LindaShorey wrote:The theme is fascinating and would be great fun to do as a challenge or share thread. Both cliff swallows and barn swallows build mud nests under eaves and bridges (and other structures). I've seen nest colonies here packed together by the dozens. Your reflection shot is very enjoyable - a great example of how interest can be elevated by inclusion of even a tiny additional element - especially if red :)

Gal you liked 'em Linda. We don't see the big clusters here like I've seen out west, ours are usually singles like this, with an occasional duplex. I don't know exactly which type of swallow is responsible. You would think I should know more about birds than I do, given that I'm doing this project, but past the herons and egrets, I have to look em up!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:14 am

This is an interesting theme but you know I like the bobber the best. There's such a story there it makes me want to know more.

Thank you for adding these here! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

rmalarz
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby rmalarz » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:07 pm

Minnie, though all are well done, the middle one is the attention getter. The very small bit of sharply focused color really stands out within the frame of the photograph.
--Bob
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

Return to “City Skylines & Architecture”