"One day you are a signature, next day you are an autograph." —Billy Wilder

― Architecture ShowcaseMisleading lines

User avatar
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2624
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Misleading lines

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:23 pm

I enjoy seeing what water does; this father and son made the scene more interesting for me than the lines alone.
Misleading lines (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Posts: 3897
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:33 pm

This is an interesting one to figure out. I agree that the man and boy add interest. The crazy lines going all directions (vertical, horizontal, and everything in between) are also interesting, but there is almost too much going on for me to manage, even with my distorted "kitchen sink" compositional brain. But I confess to looking a long time trying to sort it all out, which is a measure of victory in itself.

Here's what I like: a crop down to the treeline or even to the man's knees, and a crop from the left side to just past the light pole, then a vertical and horizontal flip. It yields a mysterious image with confusing but intriguing geometry.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:57 pm
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by uuglypher » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:25 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:I enjoy seeing what water does; this father and son made the scene more interesting for me than the lines alone. Misleading lines (1 of 1).jpg


Definitely thought provoking!
Puts me in mind of M.C.Escher!

Dave

User avatar
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2624
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:14 am

Minnie, Dave,

This is some pretty weird stuff. Does it work?
pM Inverted dock (1 of 1)-2.jpg
Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

User avatar
uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:57 pm
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by uuglypher » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:28 am

Sure does! 90°rotation with the plane of mirroring vertical is momentarily a startling perspective.!

Dave

User avatar
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2624
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:34 pm

uuglypher wrote:Sure does! 90°rotation with the plane of mirroring vertical is momentarily a startling perspective.!

Dave


All this without smoking anything. Imagine.

Just heard that I didn't make it with Seeing in Sixes. Thanks for your help with the project. Should I post it on UHH, do you think? pM is limited to three photos. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

User avatar
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2624
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:39 pm

uuglypher wrote:Sure does! 90°rotation with the plane of mirroring vertical is momentarily a startling perspective.!

Dave


I flipped the image horizontally and prefer this one. Your thoughts?
pM Inverted dock 2 (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

User avatar
rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Posts: 586
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: Arizona
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by rmalarz » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:43 pm

This image captures quite a lot, especially the father/son involvement in enjoying a day out. It might prove an interesting visual to flip the image vertically. Even in its present presentation it reminds me of M.C. Escher.
--Bob
P.S. I usually don't read other's posts until after submitting mine. I see Uuglypher already saw an M.C. Escher connection.
Matt Quinn wrote:I enjoy seeing what water does; this father and son made the scene more interesting for me than the lines alone. Misleading lines (1 of 1).jpg
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

User avatar
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2624
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:01 pm

rmalarz wrote:This image captures quite a lot, especially the father/son involvement in enjoying a day out. It might prove an interesting visual to flip the image vertically. Even in its present presentation it reminds me of M.C. Escher.
--Bob
P.S. I usually don't read other's posts until after submitting mine. I see Uuglypher already saw an M.C. Escher connection.
Matt Quinn wrote:I enjoy seeing what water does; this father and son made the scene more interesting for me than the lines alone. Misleading lines (1 of 1).jpg



You folks have wonderful imaginations and eyes for possibilities. I have tended to be more literal, trying to 'get it right.' This dialog will encourage me to start messing around in the sandbox. Thanks for the comment, Bob. Always am grateful. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

User avatar
rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Posts: 586
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: Arizona
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by rmalarz » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:29 pm

Matt, my comments were never meant to lead you from getting it write. I think that is the foremost part of taking any exposure. It is also one of the things I admire about Jerry Uelsmann's work. Each of the images that contribute to the whole are exquisitely exposed and processed. So, don't give up trying to get it right. In the process enjoy the journies elsewhere.
--Bob
Matt Quinn wrote:
rmalarz wrote:This image captures quite a lot, especially the father/son involvement in enjoying a day out. It might prove an interesting visual to flip the image vertically. Even in its
present presentation it reminds me of M.C. Escher.
--Bob
P.S. I usually don't read other's posts until after submitting mine. I see Uuglypher already saw an M.C. Escher connection.
Matt Quinn wrote:I enjoy seeing what water does; this father and son made the scene more interesting for me than the lines alone. Misleading lines (1 of 1).jpg



You folks have wonderful imaginations and eyes for possibilities. I have tended to be more literal, trying to 'get it right.' This dialog will encourage me to start messing around in the sandbox. Thanks for the comment, Bob. Always am grateful. Matt
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest