“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Member's ShowcaseTower of Sharpness

Our man-made structures are works of marvel and awe.
- Buildings, homes, bridges, airports and structures of all kinds can be posted here.
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Tower of Sharpness

Postby Charles Haacker » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:58 pm

I could not figger out where this belonged because it's certainly not art. It was a spur-of-the-moment test. Just a test. As most of you know I am wedded to small-sensor compact cameras, which is maybe counterintuitive since I am also a self-confessed sharp freak. I've always reasoned that larger sensors have to be sharper simply by virtue of being, like hello, larger? Duh? :| In the past I've shot pictures of newspapers and such, downloaded and printed test patterns, but my favorite quick-and-dirty sharpness test (which honestly not all my cameras got an A) was to shoot a cell or transmission tower. Lots of fiddly stuff and wires outlined against the sky. Yeh. So there I wuz, takin' a walk, and up looms this tower, and I've had my "big" Sony RX10 for a hull year but I haven't shot a tower with it. So I did! And boy, was I personally pleased with that 1" sensor and that magnificent Zeiss zoom. So that's why I took it, and here 'tis. 8):
Sony RX10 (Original Model) ƒ/3.2, 51.8 mm, 1/640 ISO 125 hand-held, raw capture, auto-focused
ImageSony Sharpness Test by Charles Haacker, on Flickr
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

pop511
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Tower of Sharpness

Postby pop511 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:04 am

Don't humble yourself Chuck;
I would love to see more postings like this on this forum.

Formulate, test and check findings.
I tried very hard to see any ghosting against sky through the tower and I can't see any.
A sure way to check your lens/camera abilities is to do precisely what you have done. Dark subject against sky
If you want to be more pedantic. Do the same again. Lens wide open/Mid/closed

" I've always reasoned that larger sensors have to be sharper simply by virtue of being, like hello, larger? "
It's not so much the sensor, but the lens. With a smaller chip, manufactures don't need to obtain quality to the edge. They can make the lens as good as for the larger chip at a cheaper price.
Have fun;
ed
ed davis

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:51 pm

pop511 wrote:Don't humble yourself Chuck;
I would love to see more postings like this on this forum.

Formulate, test and check findings.
I tried very hard to see any ghosting against sky through the tower and I can't see any.
A sure way to check your lens/camera abilities is to do precisely what you have done. Dark subject against sky
If you want to be more pedantic. Do the same again. Lens wide open/Mid/closed

" I've always reasoned that larger sensors have to be sharper simply by virtue of being, like hello, larger? "
It's not so much the sensor, but the lens. With a smaller chip, manufactures don't need to obtain quality to the edge. They can make the lens as good as for the larger chip at a cheaper price.
Have fun;
ed

Thanks, Ed! I did not know that about lenses not being formulated specifically for smaller chips! I did notice some time ago (by shooting towers) that there seemed to be a small but discernible difference in relative sharpness between my Nikon P5000 and its several-generations-away P7000, but I put it down to the P5000 having a 1/2.3 chip and the P7000 a larger 1/1.7. The lenses on both cameras were pretty similar. Then I upgraded to the P7800 which has a 1/1.7 but a backlit CMOS rather than a CCD, and I swear I see a slight improvement in sharpness over the P7000.

You are 100% right that I need to get back out there (with a tripod) and repeat the experiment with a range of stops, and I think I also need to repeat the same series with my P7800 (at least). When I saw this picture (and indeed there is zero ghosting!) I was very pleased. Nikon lenses are no slouches, but I do tend to bow to the Zeiss name (just like the Leitz name). On the other hand, I heard many years ago that Japanese glass was so good that the Germans were buying it, so there's that. :) And I recognize that no zoom, no matter how good, is ever as sharp at some focal lengths as a prime, but I am just too old to want to deal with a bagful of primes. Good enough is good enough. :D
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:37 am

What an easy way to check a lens and the different apertures it allows. Thank you for sharing this with us here! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

pop511
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Postby pop511 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:38 am

You'll be thankful to know I'm o/seas...So It'll be quite around here for a while...
Kind regards to all
ed
ed davis

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby Charles Haacker » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:56 pm

pop511 wrote:You'll be thankful to know I'm o/seas...So It'll be quite around here for a while...
Kind regards to all
ed

No one is thankful! When you get back I did a new series of tests, viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2427

Return to “City Skylines & Architecture”