“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Member's ShowcaseThe Irrigation Beast

Our man-made structures are works of marvel and awe.
- Buildings, homes, bridges, airports and structures of all kinds can be posted here.
LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

The Irrigation Beast

Postby LindaShorey » Sun May 28, 2017 9:08 pm

I'm enthralled by the size and form, though they are usually not where one can easily show scale.
Attachments
acr_sharp.jpg
1 P5280223.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Re: The Irrigation Beast

Postby Didereaux » Sun May 28, 2017 9:32 pm

LindaShorey wrote:I'm enthralled by the size and form, though they are usually not where one can easily show scale.

Well there ya go! Two cover shots for Farm & Wagon monthly! You aare expanding your horizons...soon we will be left in your dust...3" of the Palouse's finest!. :lol: :lol: :rofl:
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby LindaShorey » Sun May 28, 2017 10:07 pm

Didereaux wrote:Well there ya go! Two cover shots for Farm & Wagon monthly! You aare expanding your horizons...soon we will be left in your dust...3" of the Palouse's finest!. :lol: :lol: :rofl:

LOL, well there's a goal I hadn't thought of: Farm & Wagon Monthly. For years I have been interested in the forms of irrigation beasts, as well as the single pipe irrigators enclosed in huge wheels, and the various orchard heaters (I think propane now, the old days perhaps kerosene) and even the aluminum ladders used for picking fruit and pruning...love all that stuff. Don't get me started on the hops picking machines :)

Would you believe I've never been to Palouse area?? Pullman is a three-hour drive from Yakima, and you'd really need to spend a couple of nights to take advantage of sunrise/sunset. Maybe next year :)

Thanks for commenting!
Attachments
0001459517239155-1_img_1697_w_clone_analog.jpg
0001459517239155-1_img_1697_w_clone_analog.jpg (395.43 KiB) Viewed 483 times
0001455733350219-1_img_1352_1.jpg
0001455733350219-1_img_1352_1.jpg (214.91 KiB) Viewed 484 times
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Ceropegia » Sun May 28, 2017 10:57 pm

I really like them all and can easily see why you are "enthralled by the size and form" of the beasts. The mountain backdrop is a nice touch in the first one. The huge flock of birds is interesting - were they gleaning and you disturbed them? But the one that really captivates me is the one with the orchard heaters. The more I look at it, the more the heaters seem to take on a robot like quality - idly standing by, waiting for the command to march out and do their thing.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby LindaShorey » Sun May 28, 2017 11:19 pm

Ceropegia wrote:I really like them all and can easily see why you are "enthralled by the size and form" of the beasts. The mountain backdrop is a nice touch in the first one. The huge flock of birds is interesting - were they gleaning and you disturbed them? But the one that really captivates me is the one with the orchard heaters. The more I look at it, the more the heaters seem to take on a robot like quality - idly standing by, waiting for the command to march out and do their thing.

Thank you Martha! The first shot was taken March 1, still snow around from our unusually long and cold winter. The birds are redwing blackbirds - a surprise as I thought must be starlings with that many. I shot from the car, so I don't believe they flew because of me. They just seemed to congregate on the structure, then fly off again :)

Your description of the orchard heaters is delightful! I'm so glad you enjoyed.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Duck » Mon May 29, 2017 12:13 am

I particularly love the snow scene. Very simple and visually powerful. Great job.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby LindaShorey » Mon May 29, 2017 1:09 am

Duck wrote:I particularly love the snow scene. Very simple and visually powerful. Great job.

Thank you very much! I'm grateful for your interest, Duck.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon May 29, 2017 2:05 pm

Ceropegia wrote:I really like them all and can easily see why you are "enthralled by the size and form" of the beasts. The mountain backdrop is a nice touch in the first one. The huge flock of birds is interesting - were they gleaning and you disturbed them? But the one that really captivates me is the one with the orchard heaters. The more I look at it, the more the heaters seem to take on a robot like quality - idly standing by, waiting for the command to march out and do their thing.

Wonderful overall set of pictures! I've always loved that orchard heater shot, and I love Martha's interpretation: robots! Of course! I also love both of the center-pivot shots and can't decide if I like one more than the other since they are entirely different. I love (using 'love' too much but what can I do?) the first with its mountain backdrop and explosion of redwings, but the second one my have a slight edge for its vigorous fog of water (thereisnolightlikebacklight) and its span of towers curving back seemingly to infinity. I think the scale is covered by the relatively low camera angle, but then I know how big they are. They are both terrific, wall-worthy shots! :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby LindaShorey » Mon May 29, 2017 7:10 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:Wonderful overall set of pictures! I've always loved that orchard heater shot, and I love Martha's interpretation: robots! Of course! I also love both of the center-pivot shots and can't decide if I like one more than the other since they are entirely different. I love (using 'love' too much but what can I do?) the first with its mountain backdrop and explosion of redwings, but the second one my have a slight edge for its vigorous fog of water (thereisnolightlikebacklight) and its span of towers curving back seemingly to infinity. I think the scale is covered by the relatively low camera angle, but then I know how big they are. They are both terrific, wall-worthy shots! :thumbup:

Thank you, Chuck! I'm so pleased you enjoyed - and that you remembered the orchard heaters. The next time I went past that location I noticed someone had uprighted the tipped one :) The backlit spray shot was yesterday morning. Sunrise is too darned early this time of year, so I just made lemonade by embracing the backlighting (sometimes with flare and glare) in a number of images.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:09 am

LindaShorey wrote:I'm enthralled by the size and form, though they are usually not where one can easily show scale.

I love the birds adding scale to the equipment, but really love the light in the second. I don't think you could have captured this at a better time! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “City Skylines & Architecture”