“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Member's ShowcaseReturn to Nebraska Capitol, Sunset Golden Hour

Our man-made structures are works of marvel and awe.
- Buildings, homes, bridges, airports and structures of all kinds can be posted here.
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Return to Nebraska Capitol, Sunset Golden Hour

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon May 15, 2017 3:18 pm

I had hoped I could get back to the west portico (and I just looked up portico and discovered I've been abusing the term but oh well) ...west sort-of-portico-but-not-roofed-over-thingy with the setting sun. The weather cooperated (except for the 92 degree part). You can see the full set here, morning and evening, but I tried not to just repeat my old boring self in this second group so I looked for anything I thought could make for more unusual pitchers. :|
Mr Lincoln.jpg
Mr. Lincoln's statue is at the west entrance. I made it last week in the morning so it was lit only by sky light. This has the evening glow and the shadow is already halfway up.
Mr Lincoln.jpg (157.54 KiB) Viewed 429 times
Sower Lamps.jpg
I made lots of zoomed in closeups of this big fella, a classic sower of seed striding along the furrows, with furrowed brow, broadcasting seed, lots'a symbolism and determination and stuff. I was looking for something different on the northwest corner when I noticed the period-looking street lamps. I am always looking for frames...
Sower Lamps.jpg (111.92 KiB) Viewed 429 times
Capitol Fountain.jpg
On the north face (North Face, get it) I found a fountain that was pretty cool except it's not dead on the centerline with the building. I'm gonna write a nasty letter...
Capitol Fountain.jpg (113.29 KiB) Viewed 429 times
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Return to Nebraska Capitol, Sunset Golden Hour

Postby Didereaux » Mon May 15, 2017 3:59 pm

#2 Dat's da ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon May 15, 2017 5:32 pm

Didereaux wrote:#2 Dat's da ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Thanks, Monte. I thought that was pretty inspired---for me. :lol:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon May 15, 2017 9:56 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I had hoped I could get back to the west portico (and I just looked up portico and discovered I've been abusing the term but oh well) ...west sort-of-portico-but-not-roofed-over-thingy with the setting sun. The weather cooperated (except for the 92 degree part). ...

I love the shadow on the first feeling like it's a political statement of the fight between the light and encroaching dark parts of our history.
The second is Print And Frame ready and uniquely you. This is a testament to a keen eye and a unique composition. Well done!
The third is the ubiquitous tourist shot, but better done than most and deserves to be on their website and city brochures.

I'm loving traveling the country with you two and pray you share more with us when you have time! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon May 15, 2017 11:41 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Charles Haacker wrote:I had hoped I could get back to the west portico (and I just looked up portico and discovered I've been abusing the term but oh well) ...west sort-of-portico-but-not-roofed-over-thingy with the setting sun. The weather cooperated (except for the 92 degree part). ...

I love the shadow on the first feeling like it's a political statement of the fight between the light and encroaching dark parts of our history.
The second is Print And Frame ready and uniquely you. This is a testament to a keen eye and a unique composition. Well done!
The third is the ubiquitous tourist shot, but better done than most and deserves to be on their website and city brochures.

I'm loving traveling the country with you two and pray you share more with us when you have time! S-

Thank you Steve! It never occurred to me that that first shot could have more depth than just a pitcher, but everyone knows I don't got no 'magination. I sincerely (!!) appreciate your gracious observations! :love:

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon May 15, 2017 11:44 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:Thank you Steve! It never occurred to me that that first shot could have more depth than just a pitcher, but everyone knows I don't got no 'magination. I sincerely (!!) appreciate your gracious observations! :love:

We all see what we want to! S-

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby LindaShorey » Tue May 16, 2017 12:16 am

I love the perspective on #1. The shadow on Mr Lincoln adds a great deal of interest. #2 is super eye-catching.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue May 16, 2017 1:22 am

LindaShorey wrote:I love the perspective on #1. The shadow on Mr Lincoln adds a great deal of interest. #2 is super eye-catching.

Thanks, Linda! Even at the time I was mildly surprised that I saw that possibility, but it's true that I am always looking for frames; leaves, limbs, overhangs, anything that can add an illusion of depth. I think either they taught us that in school or I read it someplace, but I do it so much it's kind of a stylistic cliche, :| something I routinely do because it works purty good. I honestly think I am mostly a very competent mechanic of a photographer. All my pro career I mostly did the same things again and again because I was very skilled (practice making perfect) but I felt, and still feel that I have a bagful of photographic parlor tricks that I can use, but not much vision. I know what I'm doing. I can produce, under pretty much any conditions with pretty much any camera, but all my portraits looked pretty much the same. All my weddings looked pretty much the same (which was why we would cover the weddings of three sisters one after the other, because they wanted Mr. Haacker and no one else). I attended conventions and seminars and signed up for week-long hands-on sessions with Big Names because that was where my "innovation" (if I had any) came from. When I did commercial work it was always with an art director, usually one of three I worked with a lot. I was the competent mechanic who could produce the art that the AD envisioned. He couldn't make the picture and I couldn't make the art. :| So it worked out.

I very much appreciate it when people like something I did, but I guess I will never get over feeling that, so far as art is concerned, I have no idea. :oops:

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Tue May 16, 2017 2:56 am

Charles Haacker wrote:...
I very much appreciate it when people like something I did, but I guess I will never get over feeling that, so far as art is concerned, I have no idea. :oops:

What is art but making something someone else couldn't and moves them to feel one thing or another? S-

Return to “City Skylines & Architecture”