“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” —Vince Lombardi

Forum software has been updated to latest version. Please report any issues you may encounter. - Thanks

― Architecture ShowcaseNebraska State Capitol Building, Lincoln

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Nebraska State Capitol Building, Lincoln

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun May 07, 2017 6:56 pm

I managed somehow to rise and be onsite just after 06.00 on a Sunday as the sun was just coming up and kissing the top of the tower, the Golden Hour. I had planned this for a while. When I first arrived in Lincoln I was frankly unimpressed with the capitol, probably owing to spending more than 22 years in Madison, Wisconsin, also a state capital, with what is reputed to be one of the most beautiful classical capitols in all 50 states. I thought Lincoln's was icky by comparison, but that judgment was unfair. This structure is described as the nation’s first truly vernacular State Capitol. It was the nation’s first statehouse design to radically depart from the prototypical form of the nation’s Capitol and to use an office tower (which was what I initially disliked). The architect was Bertram G. Goodhue of New York. The building is classic Art Deco with undertones of Gothic Revival and Byzantine Revival. It is the third Nebraska State Capitol. It took 10 years to build in 4 phases. Construction started in 1922 and it was completed in 1932, just under budget ($9.8 million in 1932 dollars). There are 15 floors above ground. It stands 400 feet tall.
If you would like to see the full set they are up on my Flickr. Click this link..
DSC05068.EM.jpg
DSC05120.EM.jpg

The statue of the Sower atop the tower, modeled after the traditional method of hand sowing grain for planting, is a symbol of the importance of Agriculture to the development of civilization. Agriculture is the foundation upon which Nebraskans have built a noble life. (Nebraska.gov)
The Sower.jpg

If you would like to see the full set they are up on my Flickr. Click this link..
Last edited by Charles Haacker on Mon May 08, 2017 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by LindaShorey » Sun May 07, 2017 7:43 pm

Absolutely worth getting up for! Thanks for the history and info. Your flickr site has more beautiful shots!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by Didereaux » Mon May 08, 2017 1:56 am

Nice shots.
In grade school the state capitol building was almost a course by itself. Also the gov structure. Nebraskans have always considered themselves frugal (everyone else on the planet calls them cheapskates). They thought they could cut the cost of politicians in half by only having one house in the legislature, it's called unicameral....but the savings never materialized as they forgot that if a politician smells money he is going to spend it, so having half the number of politicians simply meant the each spent twice as much...most Nebraskans today are still scratching their heads over that. ;)
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon May 08, 2017 1:42 pm

[/quote]
LindaShorey wrote:Absolutely worth getting up for! Thanks for the history and info. Your flickr site has more beautiful shots!

Thanks so much Linda!
Didereaux wrote:Nice shots.
In grade school the state capitol building was almost a course by itself. Also the gov structure. Nebraskans have always considered themselves frugal (everyone else on the planet calls them cheapskates). They thought they could cut the cost of politicians in half by only having one house in the legislature, it's called unicameral....but the savings never materialized as they forgot that if a politician smells money he is going to spend it, so having half the number of politicians simply meant the each spent twice as much...most Nebraskans today are still scratching their heads over that. ;)

Wow, Didereaux, I had no idea about Unicameral! I had to look it up. Turns out Nebraska remains the ONLY state to have a Unicameral. I grok "cheap" (frugal). I am cheap (frugal) but I'm poor. :D
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Didereaux » Mon May 08, 2017 3:02 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
LindaShorey wrote:Absolutely worth getting up for! Thanks for the history and info. Your flickr site has more beautiful shots!

Thanks so much Linda!
Didereaux wrote:Nice shots.

Wow, Didereaux, I had no idea about Unicameral! I had to look it up. Turns out Nebraska remains the ONLY state to have a Unicameral. I grok "cheap" (frugal). I am cheap (frugal) but I'm poor. :D[/quote]

:D :D :D Me too, some might say I am too poor to be cheap! :lol:
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri May 12, 2017 8:57 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I managed somehow to rise and be onsite just after 06.00 on a Sunday as the sun was just coming up and kissing the top of the tower, the Golden Hour. ...

Your dedication to waking early was worth it. The light is absolutely amazing! Thank you for sharing this and inspiring me to wake early. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"