― Architecture ShowcaseHow I've Spent 2 Years & All My $

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

How I've Spent 2 Years & All My $

Post by minniev » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:33 pm

Two years ago my family farm including the house my grandparents built when they married in 1905 was being sold. My cousin and I made a final visit to see it one last time and I took pictures to remember it. Through a series of unexpected events, the sale fell through and my cousin and I partnered to buy it, finalizing the sale in April 2016. Now, we are 90% done with the project, which has returned it to most of its original appearance and function. I spent Saturday working there but took time to rest on the old porch swing, and to take pictures of it in fall color.

Has anyone else attempted such a project? I've built a house before but that was lots easier than rescuing a 110 year old structure from the precipice of collapse.
Attachments
my house (1 of 1)-3.jpg
where we started
my house (1 of 1).jpg
where we are now
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Graham Smith
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Graham Smith » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:09 pm

minniev wrote:Two years ago my family farm including the house my grandparents built when they married in 1905 was being sold. My cousin and I made a final visit to see it one last time and I took pictures to remember it. Through a series of unexpected events, the sale fell through and my cousin and I partnered to buy it, finalizing the sale in April 2016. Now, we are 90% done with the project, which has returned it to most of its original appearance and function. I spent Saturday working there but took time to rest on the old porch swing, and to take pictures of it in fall color.

Has anyone else attempted such a project? I've built a house before but that was lots easier than rescuing a 110 year old structure from the precipice of collapse.

It's looking wonderful Minnie :yay:

Having been in construction all my life I know just how hard you must have worked
Graham

Bob Yankle
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Bob Yankle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:40 pm

It looks to be money very well spent ..... at least I hope so. Who gets to use it? Is it a Family getaway that folks can stay in for free?

I've never restored an old home myself, but I live very close to Historic Old Glencoe, a Mill town that closed down in the late 40's. For some reason, a Heritage Foundation sprung up, and folks have purchased the old homes and fixed them up. They're really quite beautiful. I'm all for preservation ...... in fact, it seems like I have to spend money every once in a while just to preserve the house I'm currently living in.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:01 pm

This is definitely a project of the heart as you are not, "rescuing a 110 year old structure from the precipice of collapse," as much as preserving memories. Hopefully the end results justify the project's hardships.

Cute looking house, by the way.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:21 pm

Graham Smith wrote:
minniev wrote:Two years ago my family farm including the house my grandparents built when they married in 1905 was being sold. My cousin and I made a final visit to see it one last time and I took pictures to remember it. Through a series of unexpected events, the sale fell through and my cousin and I partnered to buy it, finalizing the sale in April 2016. Now, we are 90% done with the project, which has returned it to most of its original appearance and function. I spent Saturday working there but took time to rest on the old porch swing, and to take pictures of it in fall color.

It's looking wonderful Minnie :yay:

Having been in construction all my life I know just how hard you must have worked

Thank you Graham. If you ever want to visit the states, it can be your home away from home! It is a little primitive but not as rugged as your green tent!

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:24 pm

Bob Yankle wrote:It looks to be money very well spent ..... at least I hope so. Who gets to use it? Is it a Family getaway that folks can stay in for free?

I've never restored an old home myself, but I live very close to Historic Old Glencoe, a Mill town that closed down in the late 40's. For some reason, a Heritage Foundation sprung up, and folks have purchased the old homes and fixed them up. They're really quite beautiful. I'm all for preservation ...... in fact, it seems like I have to spend money every once in a while just to preserve the house I'm currently living in.

It is now mine, to either live in or use as a retreat or share with other family and friends, or use as a studio or any other enterprise I see fit to use it for. My grandsons are looking forward to us spending some weekends there.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:31 pm

Duck wrote:This is definitely a project of the heart as you are not, "rescuing a 110 year old structure from the precipice of collapse," as much as preserving memories. Hopefully the end results justify the project's hardships.

Cute looking house, by the way.

It is indeed a project of the heart, because otherwise it is just a foolish money pit. My cousin and I spent our childhood summers there, and I spent many other weekends and holidays. Our goal was to get it where it could survive another 2 generations past us. My sons and grandsons know I will haunt them if they aren't good stewards.

The 5 year old has declared that it must be a gallery for our art (mine, his, and my cousin's). He has a sign to put up on the highway, and says people will come from everywhere to buy our things, and we will never have to worry about money again :D .

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:32 pm

Your grandson's idea for an art gallery must bring tears of joy and appreciation to your eyes, Minnie. It nearly did to mine! A super-inviting home and if I ever find myself lost in the south, I will seek out your hospitality and accommodations. A true treasure!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:39 am

LindaShorey wrote:Your grandson's idea for an art gallery must bring tears of joy and appreciation to your eyes, Minnie. It nearly did to mine! A super-inviting home and if I ever find myself lost in the south, I will seek out your hospitality and accommodations. A true treasure!

And you (and Trixie) would be most welcome!

Jack's enthusiasm is contagious, and he loves art, started lessons this year. He has big plans for us!

John N
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Post by John N » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:59 am

An investment of the heart.