"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Photography DiscussionStreet Photography Awards

Photography related discussions with a slant towards learning and understanding the art and craft of photography
User avatar
Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:17 pm
Reputation: 144
Location: Port Angeleeeeeeees, WA
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Street Photography Awards

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:28 pm

Thought I'd share this link to LensCultures Street Photography Awards. While I enjoy a number of the series shown here I am confused with some of the images, there are several images that don't show a street at all???

https://www.lensculture.com/2017-lenscu ... rd-winners
Today is the Day, a New Day.

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1522
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Reputation: 124
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Street Photography Awards

Postby minniev » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:54 pm

Thank you Ernst. In other forums I've participated in, I've seen raging arguments about what is and is not "street" photography. It seems that few genres have such trouble defining what they include or don't include. On a personal level I care more about seeing interesting photos than in what category they are assigned to, and I suspect you do too. Thank you for sharing a link to some interesting images, regardless of their category!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2548
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Reputation: 102
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Street Photography Awards

Postby St3v3M » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:57 am

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:Thought I'd share this link to LensCultures Street Photography Awards. While I enjoy a number of the series shown here I am confused with some of the images, there are several images that don't show a street at all???

Wow, what's up with that guy carrying a hammerhead shark down the street? Talk about going to market... S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2548
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Reputation: 102
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Street Photography Awards

Postby St3v3M » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:58 am

minniev wrote:Thank you Ernst. In other forums I've participated in, I've seen raging arguments about what is and is not "street" photography. It seems that few genres have such trouble defining what they include or don't include. On a personal level I care more about seeing interesting photos than in what category they are assigned to, and I suspect you do too. Thank you for sharing a link to some interesting images, regardless of their category!

It's amazing how strongly people will defend something they are invested in. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Posts: 791
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Reputation: 32
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Street Photography Awards

Postby davechinn » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:55 am

Thank your posting this link Ernst. Minnie is absolutely correct, raging arguments is just a tip of the iceberg and I guess I could be considered a guilty party as well. So much have been discussed/argued about what is and what isn't street photography. Here is a link I found: https://petapixel.com/2016/07/27/3-comm ... otography/ What is discussed doesn't necessarily mean I agree or disagree. Just some food for thought and possibly a guide for those interested.
Dave

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2548
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Reputation: 102
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Street Photography Awards

Postby St3v3M » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:06 pm

davechinn wrote:Thank your posting this link Ernst. Minnie is absolutely correct, raging arguments is just a tip of the iceberg and I guess I could be considered a guilty party as well. So much have been discussed/argued about what is and what isn't street photography. Here is a link I found: https://petapixel.com/2016/07/27/3-comm ... otography/ What is discussed doesn't necessarily mean I agree or disagree. Just some food for thought and possibly a guide for those interested.
Dave

The article is wonderful, thank you! S-
- What Is Street Photography?
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Posts: 791
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Reputation: 32
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Street Photography Awards

Postby davechinn » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:05 pm

Your welcome Steve !!! I thought it was rather interesting.
Dave


Return to “Photography Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests