"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Member's ShowcaseSnoozin'

A genre in itself, street and journalistic photography embrace many disciplines.
- Candid shots, street portraits, newsworthy editorials or just the raw nature of the human experience.
rmalarz
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Snoozin'

Postby rmalarz » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:45 pm

--Bob
Attachments
D700-20100601-017.jpg
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Snoozin'

Postby minniev » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:26 pm

That's a pretty eye-catching street shot - well taken and well presented.

I am glad I am not the only one who has taken photos of people who are "not awake". I have several of such. Sometimes they make powerful statements.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

rmalarz
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Postby rmalarz » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:47 pm

Thanks, Minnie. I appreciate your compliment and comments. I've several more streeet shots that I am in the process of locating and then posting.
--Bob
minniev wrote:That's a pretty eye-catching street shot - well taken and well presented.

I am glad I am not the only one who has taken photos of people who are "not awake". I have several of such. Sometimes they make powerful statements.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Charles Haacker » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:15 pm

That is, to me anyway, a heartbreaker. Sure, I have no way to know if he is homeless, but that was my immediate assumption. From the state of his clothes and the fact that he is sleeping in the most uncomfortable position imaginable... The cities have long since put in things like spike strips and unneeded "armrests" on public benches (you can see one directly below his right hand) to prevent "vagrants" from stretching out. The poor ye have with ye alway. I heard a talk many years ago by a nun who was a city chaplain to the homeless. What stuck with me was her assertion that the single reason why homelessness cannot be conquered is that there is no single reason for homelessness. All of it and everyone must be taken on a case-by-case basis, and that costs money, and no one wants to spend it. There but for the grace... Wonderful picture, Bob. I could never have taken it.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:43 am

The first thing that struck me about this image was that your choice of cropping doesn't allow the poor guy to sit up straight. Poor guy passed out from the exertion :lol:

My personal philosophy is to avoid photographing the homeless at their most vulnerable. Good street photography is about finding the story and showing the emotion in a single frame. While a homeless man passed out on a bench tells an emotionally charged story it is one that is too easy. Unfortunately homelessness is too prevalent a condition and many of these people get exploited enough without having a camera lens point out their misfortunes.

I have taken photos of homeless people but it would be hard to tell from the images. I prefered to concentrate more on the individuals than their condition. I do have one image that is somewhat similar to this, though. However, in that image there is a juxtaposition between the sleeping man and all the activity happening around him. Here is the link to the image if you are interested. (Sleeping on the bench)

This by no means is a criticism on this image, just a flip of the coin. I would say, though, the poor guy needs more head room.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

rmalarz
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Postby rmalarz » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:52 pm

Interesting points. Something to keep in mind. Thanks for commenting. I do have a few more, though. I'll be posting them in time.
--Bob
Duck wrote:The first thing that struck me about this image was that your choice of cropping doesn't allow the poor guy to sit up straight. Poor guy passed out from the exertion :lol:

My personal philosophy is to avoid photographing the homeless at their most vulnerable. Good street photography is about finding the story and showing the emotion in a single frame. While a homeless man passed out on a bench tells an emotionally charged story it is one that is too easy. Unfortunately homelessness is too prevalent a condition and many of these people get exploited enough without having a camera lens point out their misfortunes.

I have taken photos of homeless people but it would be hard to tell from the images. I prefered to concentrate more on the individuals than their condition. I do have one image that is somewhat similar to this, though. However, in that image there is a juxtaposition between the sleeping man and all the activity happening around him. Here is the link to the image if you are interested. (Sleeping on the bench)

This by no means is a criticism on this image, just a flip of the coin. I would say, though, the poor guy needs more head room.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus

Postby Matt Quinn » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:55 am

Not sure why, but this shot reminded me of Robert Capa's photo of the fallen soldier. (I had to look it up on Wikipedia to get the name and photographer.) All sorts of fodder in both photos for thoughts on poverty, war, oppression, rebellion, hopelessness, "...man's inhumanity to man...", etc. And Yeats's epitaph: "Cast a cold eye/On life, on death/ Horseman, pass by." Bob, you have really captured a sensitive and evocative moment. Thank you. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

rmalarz
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Postby rmalarz » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:52 am

Thanks, Matt. Having taken a few courses in English Lit., I'm familiar with Yeats, and that poem. Thanks for your comments.
--Bob

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:08 am

Street photography is a subjective art. Think of the story and you will find amazing images.

Thank you for adding this here. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

rmalarz
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Postby rmalarz » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:28 am

You're certainly welcome, St3v3. Street scenes can be found anywhere.
--Bob

Return to “Street & Photojournalism”