“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Member's ShowcaseEntertainment at the Farmers' Market

A genre in itself, street and journalistic photography embrace many disciplines.
- Candid shots, street portraits, newsworthy editorials or just the raw nature of the human experience.
User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Posts: 987
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Reputation: 91
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Entertainment at the Farmers' Market

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon May 15, 2017 2:40 pm

I hardly ever shoot anything that could be classified as "street." I am far too shy plus I don't want my camera fed to me. :S But yesterday, Mothers' Day, my granddaughter's mom and fambly strolled a farmers' market and there was this family, Mom, Dad, and young daughter playing great bluegrass, so I made this picture, and I dropped two bucks for the privilege of listening + taking their picture. I'm leaving it in color because it just doesn't work well in B&W. :)
DSC05308.EM.jpg
I really like the youngster in the foreground "filming" with her cell phone (and isn't it funny that we all seem to still call it "filming?")
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Posts: 639
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:37 pm
Reputation: 90
Location: swamps of East Texas
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Entertainment at the Farmers' Market

Postby Didereaux » Mon May 15, 2017 4:20 pm

Ya know what immediately caught my eye? the girl in the orange shirt, and red shorts taking the picture. She's the 'Chronicler', you became the witness.
The guy in blue on the left, and the Grande Tetons on the right framed the whole thing nicely.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Posts: 987
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Reputation: 91
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Entertainment at the Farmers' Market

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon May 15, 2017 5:45 pm

Didereaux wrote:Ya know what immediately caught my eye? the girl in the orange shirt, and red shorts taking the picture. She's the 'Chronicler', you became the witness.
The guy in blue on the left, and the Grande Tetons on the right framed the whole thing nicely.

:thanks: Thanks! :rofl:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Reputation: 117
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Entertainment at the Farmers' Market

Postby minniev » Mon May 15, 2017 6:13 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I hardly ever shoot anything that could be classified as "street." I am far too shy plus I don't want my camera fed to me. :S But yesterday, Mothers' Day, my granddaughter's mom and fambly strolled a farmers' market and there was this family, Mom, Dad, and young daughter playing great bluegrass, so I made this picture, and I dropped two bucks for the privilege of listening + taking their picture. I'm leaving it in color because it just doesn't work well in B&W. :) DSC05308.EM.jpg


Normally I'd be saying "get under the tent Chuck and get them close up where you don't have the hassle of that mixed light" - which would be a nice image.

But as Didereaux has said, the triangular framing assets of Mr. Blue Shirt, little miss Orange, and Grand Teton (the first thing that caught my eye, OMG) have given you a quirky but arresting composition that would not be possible beneath the tent. Well spotted and very cool.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Graham Smith
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 3:13 pm
Reputation: 45
Location: Chatteris, Cambridgeshire, UK
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Entertainment at the Farmers' Market

Postby Graham Smith » Mon May 15, 2017 7:20 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I hardly ever shoot anything that could be classified as "street." I am far too shy plus I don't want my camera fed to me. :S But yesterday, Mothers' Day, my granddaughter's mom and fambly strolled a farmers' market and there was this family, Mom, Dad, and young daughter playing great bluegrass, so I made this picture, and I dropped two bucks for the privilege of listening + taking their picture. I'm leaving it in color because it just doesn't work well in B&W. :) DSC05308.EM.jpg


I like this Chuck and I know you are out of your comfort zone with this kind of subject, so well done :thumbup:

If I were to make a suggestion it would be to slightly warm up the skin tone of the musicians, it would give them a little more prominence.

Graham
Graham

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Posts: 987
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Reputation: 91
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Entertainment at the Farmers' Market

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon May 15, 2017 10:49 pm

minniev wrote:Normally I'd be saying "get under the tent Chuck and get them close up where you don't have the hassle of that mixed light" - which would be a nice image.

But as Didereaux has said, the triangular framing assets of Mr. Blue Shirt, little miss Orange, and Grand Teton (the first thing that caught my eye, OMG) have given you a quirky but arresting composition that would not be possible beneath the tent. Well spotted and very cool.

:D Thanks, Min! I hope that nice woman never sees this picture, or at least the commentary on, um, her assets. I have to confess (and those of you that know me already know) that I simply don't have that much imagination. I made, I think, 4 or 5 exposures. This one got picked mainly for the positions and expressions of the band, and I really liked the girl with her cell phone recording it. I am also never averse to something entering the frame from one side or the other as I think it forms a kind of block to keep your eye in the picture. Mm, maybe not in this case. ;)
Graham Smith wrote:I like this Chuck and I know you are out of your comfort zone with this kind of subject, so well done :thumbup:

If I were to make a suggestion it would be to slightly warm up the skin tone of the musicians, it would give them a little more prominence.

Graham

Thank you so much, Graham, and I know you wouldn't say you like it if you didn't! I can easily warm up their skin. Min noticed it too. :|
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2324
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Reputation: 102
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Entertainment at the Farmers' Market

Postby St3v3M » Tue May 16, 2017 4:24 am

My instinct says to crop in focusing more on the singers so I tried it and agree your crop is better adding additional interest.

Well done, and thank you for posting this here, it's been a learning lesson. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"


Return to “Street & Photojournalism”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest