Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Places CritiqueRatliff's Ferry in Fog

Location images not considered 'scapes; landmarks, towns and cities, parks, vacation locations, your house
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Ratliff's Ferry in Fog

Post by minniev »

I don't really know where to go with this one. I like the ethereal quality but I know that sacrifices detail, but I suspect there isn't much detail anyway. And I wonder if the texture is too heavy/grainy/dark. What do you suggest?
Attachments
dpr (1 of 1)-2.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke »

I really like the composition in this one - and the mood. I feel that the bird however is blown out and somehow needs detail so that it is Not blown out. You might be able to paint it to give it a hint of detail, or add some texture just to it to fool the eye.

Ok, so that's one item. The other item would be to consider adding a hint of color to it coming from the back or back above.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:12 pm
I really like the composition in this one - and the mood. I feel that the bird however is blown out and somehow needs detail so that it is Not blown out. You might be able to paint it to give it a hint of detail, or add some texture just to it to fool the eye.

Ok, so that's one item. The other item would be to consider adding a hint of color to it coming from the back or back above.
Good suggestions. I am not sure how to paint in a bird, but I'll see what I can pilfer from some other bird...

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:13 pm
PietFrancke wrote:

Good suggestions. I am not sure how to paint in a bird, but I'll see what I can pilfer from some other bird...
yep - won't take too much, in fact, don't make it too sharp, just add a speckle of grey here and there - not about being right, just about it not being all white.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:18 pm
minniev wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:13 pm
PietFrancke wrote:

yep - won't take too much, in fact, don't make it too sharp, just add a speckle of grey here and there - not about being right, just about it not being all white.
Will see what I can do. I am also trying to turn a decorative plate into a live opera scene. I have a quiet afternoon ahead of me to play.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

I'm loving this one a lot..well done...I am concerned with the upper bird, it is distracting to this simpleton..it won't let my eye go (possibly because of the awkward look)....my suggestion is to eliminate or replace it.

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn »

Piet has some excellent suggestions and is possibly beyond my knowledge. However, I like what you have here as is. The softness draws me in and forces me to explore. I can only imagine this in a very large print hanging in a gallery and while viewing up close searching for hidden details. If none are there, no biggy.
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

davechinn wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:54 pm
Piet has some excellent suggestions and is possibly beyond my knowledge. However, I like what you have here as is. The softness draws me in and forces me to explore. I can only imagine this in a very large print hanging in a gallery and while viewing up close searching for hidden details. If none are there, no biggy.
Thanks Dave, and so glad to have you back in the village! There are more details in the original, but I did the softness thing on purpose, along with the high key thing. I am working on a version now where I blend back in a little detail from the original.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:58 am
I'm loving this one a lot..well done...I am concerned with the upper bird, it is distracting to this simpleton..it won't let my eye go (possibly because of the awkward look)....my suggestion is to eliminate or replace it.
Thank you Frank. The upper bird has more detail than the lower one, so I'm in the process of painting back in some of that detail to see whether that will work. I enhanced both the softness and brightness in post, so there is more to go back to unless it darkens the bird too much.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M »

minniev wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:57 pm
I don't really know where to go with this one. I like the ethereal quality but I know that sacrifices detail, but I suspect there isn't much detail anyway. And I wonder if the texture is too heavy/grainy/dark. What do you suggest?
I'm of the same opinion of the birds, remove them and print it! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"