Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

Places CritiqueSubdued Sunset

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Subdued Sunset

Post by minniev » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:07 pm

The lighthouse was one of our favorite subjects on Monhegan, but it was also a challenge to figure out. I didn't get as many good/creative images as Duck and Dave, but I did try! Here's one.
Attachments
lh (1 of 1)-2.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:45 pm

Very pleasing composition. I'm actually liking the subdued colors of the sky. I would suggest you look at the three light spots below the horizon line as it's pulling my eyes down and out of the frame. A little burning will help coax the eye back into the frame. :thumbup:

Otherwise, it's a really great shot.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:30 pm

Duck wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:45 pm
Very pleasing composition. I'm actually liking the subdued colors of the sky. I would suggest you look at the three light spots below the horizon line as it's pulling my eyes down and out of the frame. A little burning will help coax the eye back into the frame. :thumbup:

Otherwise, it's a really great shot.
Thanks and good point. I wanted the tombstones to show up but that light above them is a little TOO light.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:08 pm

minniev wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:30 pm
Thanks and good point. I wanted the tombstones to show up but that light above them is a little TOO light.
I used to struggle with this all the time, wanting to have everything within the image to have the same weight of importance. I have since learned that's not the way others look at our images. That's why you will always hear me ask, "what's the subject?" Not, "what are the subjects?" :D

NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:19 am

Duck wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:08 pm
minniev wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:30 pm
I used to struggle with this all the time, wanting to have everything within the image to have the same weight of importance. I have since learned that's not the way others look at our images. That's why you will always hear me ask, "what's the subject?" Not, "what are the subjects?" :D
I always struggle with the rules of photography and often refuse to obey them, particularly when it comes to extra subjects. I don’t really think of them as equally weighted subjects but more like punctuation. While I appreciate the well done photograph that does have a simple composition and single clear subject, I fail to enjoy making such images. It is not from lack of knowledge of what the rules are, it is from my insistence on doing things the wrong way by choice.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:33 am

minniev wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:19 am
[...] It is not from lack of knowledge of what the rules are, it is from my insistence on doing things the wrong way by choice.
And I'm okay with that. It's what makes you who you are. Your images speak for themselves and there's no denying you have made some really awesome images. :thumbup:

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:30 pm

I'm not sure what to say here minniev....the title says sunset, you say lighthouse, the image to me says foreground because of the lighter areas center and left..It's a nice image but I seem confused by words..so maybe I should ignore the words and enjoy the image..If I had any comment for improvement it might be crop up from the bottom to just under the tombstones....more attention for sunset, lighthouse, and tombstones.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:58 am

Duck wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:33 am
minniev wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:19 am
[...] It is not from lack of knowledge of what the rules are, it is from my insistence on doing things the wrong way by choice.
And I'm okay with that. It's what makes you who you are. Your images speak for themselves and there's no denying you have made some really awesome images. :thumbup:
Tell me how to be good but let me be bad :D

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:00 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:30 pm
I'm not sure what to say here minniev....the title says sunset, you say lighthouse, the image to me says foreground because of the lighter areas center and left..It's a nice image but I seem confused by words..so maybe I should ignore the words and enjoy the image..If I had any comment for improvement it might be crop up from the bottom to just under the tombstones....more attention for sunset, lighthouse, and tombstones.
Crop might help. Sorry about the words. It's all of that, you know.

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:25 pm

Cool !!! Overcast creates soft lighting during the golden hour. Would have loved for us to have some morning fog .... just once !!! I'm sure you have a variety of images of the lighthouse to display and we'll be waiting for them to popup in due time.
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey