Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Fisgard Light

Post by Duck » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:12 am

minniev wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:28 pm
A 3D isometric tile, huh? Might as well be writing in sanskrit. What did you use to make such a thing? No tricks, just haven't seen such and have no idea what to call it. I recognize the image but not the result! Thanks for showing a cool "thing" even if I don't understand it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0h6WsHLGnk

It's all done in photoshop. Here's one of many tutorials. It's the same principle I used for my 3D self portrait here; Basic Editing Techniques - Isolating a subject
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:25 pm

Nice image Minnie. I love that lighthouse.

Ok Duck, Give up the details?
Today is the Day, a New Day.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:19 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:25 pm
Ok Duck, Give up the details?

The video linked previously explains the process fairly well. I do depart a little since I have a slightly different way of working, but the basics are there.

I first create a rectangular selection with the rectangle tool. I manipulate the rectangle into a perspective I feel works best for the given image. in this case I used the water as the common horizontal plane, keeping in mind that the lighthouse, rocks and jetty all rise above that plane and the cutaway view of the strata lies below it.

Once I have the perspective I add the lighthouse and rocks to the selection anywhere it breaks out of the rectangular selection area (mostly at top) and remove from the selection area anything I want to show in the stratum (the foreground rise of the road leading to the lighthouse). I then create a mask.

The rest is sourcing images to represent the water and rock below the cutaway and putting it into perspective of the 3D tile. I mask it into a rectangle in perspective and here is where you can determine how thick you want the tile to be. In this case I went with fairly thin. Some understanding of geology and physics is used to make the cutaway look plausible. The final touch was adding the birds circling the lighthouse. Just another element to add the illusion of a game piece or mantlepiece figurine. :)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:22 pm

minniev wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:37 pm
One of the disappointments of my trip was that we had no clouds, just bright unbridled sun from 4 am to 10 pm every day. My only reprieve was the fog on the water. The expanse of sky is not a photographic favorite of mine, but the viewpoint was nice. Would you change skies if you were me? Or leave this one as is? Any other recommendations appreciated, too.
Isn't it amazing that most people go on vacation hoping for clear skies and the photographer looks for clouds! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"