Places CritiqueA Forest Returns

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

A Forest Returns

Post by minniev » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:42 pm

When walking behind my new/old house there is a forest regrowing itself where the barnyard once was. Some old outbuildings still teeter in place and others have fallen into piles of rotten planking. I find rock and brick footings and other evidence to show me where things once were, but the forest is reclaiming this part of the farm. This little building is a favorite of the grandsons because it is hard for adults to enter but just right for little boys. I've tried to find a way to photograph and present it. I may try to persuade Jack to ride the hobby horse down there this weekend. Any tips about processing, composition, framing, all appreciated. I toned down the greens a bit, as they were so strong, "enhanced" the rays, and added a slight dusty texture to soften it and make it look a little more painterly.
Attachments
hansel (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:49 pm

Great dof, tonal range. Framing just right. A bit of heresy: do you want to set my frozen mermaid in the sunspot? Just kidding. It does call for something; looks like the curtain is about to open. Perhaps dropping in a photo (clone?) of jack on the hobby? Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:54 pm

You've done it justice in my book minniev...no comment for improvement.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:06 am

I love it too... I have a real hard time getting "in the woods" shots to look good. You have it mastered I think. I like the greens the way that you have them.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:14 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:49 pm
Great dof, tonal range. Framing just right. A bit of heresy: do you want to set my frozen mermaid in the sunspot? Just kidding. It does call for something; looks like the curtain is about to open. Perhaps dropping in a photo (clone?) of jack on the hobby? Matt
A mermaid would be nice! Surprisingly there would be a companion for her, as in one of the largest outbuildings there is a 6 foot tall mermaid painted onto the ceiling, only about 50 yards from this little structure.

I don't think I can get an un-Jack onto the path, I'd rather try to get the real one! Maybe I'll have success.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:15 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:54 pm
You've done it justice in my book minniev...no comment for improvement.
Thank you Frank. I'll like it better when I get Jack in it.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:17 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:06 am
I love it too... I have a real hard time getting "in the woods" shots to look good. You have it mastered I think. I like the greens the way that you have them.
Thank you Piet. I'm working on my forest images, since I have ample forest to work with. I want to get to some of the back acreage. I've made several forays into it, but the creeks cut across and I'm not quite ready for log crossings. I will have to go further back and try to come at it from another direction.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:48 am

minniev wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:17 am
PietFrancke wrote:
Thank you Piet. I'm working on my forest images, since I have ample forest to work with. I want to get to some of the back acreage. I've made several forays into it, but the creeks cut across and I'm not quite ready for log crossings. I will have to go further back and try to come at it from another direction.
We are stuck inside - our problem at the moment is an over abundance of horse flies. They ATTACK. Perhaps not as fierce as an alligator, but fierce never-the-less. For some reason they don't go to our back deck though, so we can still look at the view, but my walks have become very limitted!

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:55 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:48 am
minniev wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:17 am
PietFrancke wrote:
We are stuck inside - our problem at the moment is an over abundance of horse flies. They ATTACK. Perhaps not as fierce as an alligator, but fierce never-the-less. For some reason they don't go to our back deck though, so we can still look at the view, but my walks have become very limitted!
It is horsefly season here too. It’s always season for one bug or another in the South. They can be brutal and they HURT. I’ve also got a lovely colony of wasps in one of the dormers. Gonna get after them Sunday.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:37 pm

I'm not much for critique. This is gorgeous. Shooting Forest for the Trees is notoriously difficult. I do not see one single thing that I would do differently, and I could only hope I had done as well. (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|