Page 1 of 1

Montego Bay #7 - Beauty Queen

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:29 pm
by minniev
Trying Jamaica's streets in black and white. In case you're wondering what I took a picture of, I liked the shadow...

Re: Montego Bay #7 - Beauty Queen

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:35 am
by Psjunkie
Maybe featuring it a bit more loses to much ambiance.....

Re: Montego Bay #7 - Beauty Queen

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:10 pm
by minniev
Psjunkie wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:35 am
Maybe featuring it a bit more loses to much ambiance.....
Thanks Frank. I actually cropped one similarly to this before going back to the kitchen sink. I agree it is probably a better image this way.
(But you know me, I liked the motorcycle, I liked the sign advising me not to leave my boys or dogs or whatever it is overnight, etc etc )

Re: Montego Bay #7 - Beauty Queen

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:12 pm
by Psjunkie
I am in no way inferring it better...just honed in a bit on the shadow you said you liked....

Re: Montego Bay #7 - Beauty Queen

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:16 pm
by minniev
Psjunkie wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:12 pm
I am in no way inferring it better...just honed in a bit on the shadow you said you liked....
But I think it is. The image is too contrasty to provide the detail I'd want in street images that are about the people individually, so it has to rest on the structure and form of things more. I probably will want to crop more than I did originally to hone in on that main figure/shadow, but find a way to keep the Beauty sign, or enough of it, in there, because its irony is part of what caught my attention.

Re: Montego Bay #7 - Beauty Queen

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:30 pm
by Graham Smith
I'm inclined to prefer your original image, kitchen sink and all.

Why?

Because of the partial car in the crop, it does nothing for the picture and tends to draw the eye out of the frame. In your original, the motorcycle and the car frame the subject thus taking the eye to the person. It's more balanced.

Re: Montego Bay #7 - Beauty Queen

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:42 pm
by minniev
Graham Smith wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:30 pm
I'm inclined to prefer your original image, kitchen sink and all.

Why?

Because of the partial car in the crop, it does nothing for the picture and tends to draw the eye out of the frame. In your original, the motorcycle and the car frame the subject thus taking the eye to the person. It's more balanced.
Thanks Graham, I see your point. Wisdom from the Master of Street!

Re: Montego Bay #7 - Beauty Queen

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:53 pm
by davechinn
minniev wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:29 pm
Trying Jamaica's streets in black and white. In case you're wondering what I took a picture of, I liked the shadow...


The shadow and surrounding elements make for a fine street shot, Minnie. I know you have more.
Dave

Re: Montego Bay #7 - Beauty Queen

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:59 pm
by minniev
davechinn wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:53 pm

The shadow and surrounding elements make for a fine street shot, Minnie. I know you have more.
Dave
I wish I'd been able to spend more time wandering but cruises don't offer much time on the shore, my biggest beef with them.

Re: Montego Bay #7 - Beauty Queen

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:21 am
by St3v3Murray
It's amazing how quickly the crop changes the story. S-