Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:31 pm

mikec wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:26 pm
Your thoughts please.
Mike

Tree Praying.jpg
I think it’s a powerful image. The contrast of the simple (looks like plastic and string) cross against the rough exterior of the tree commands attention. The angle of the cross is a good one. There is just enough background on the left to give us the necessary sense of depth. The monochrome conversion is good too. Nice work.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:57 pm

minniev has said most of what I think mikec...might like the cross lightened ever so slightly..

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:26 am

My only 'problem' with it is that the cross doesn't seem sharp, but that could be from what it's made of, or it could be me.

It's interesting too, I like the original and a square crop too. Great concept! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

mikec
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by mikec » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:10 am

Going to work on the photo this weekend.
Mike C
Enjoying the sun and sea in Miami, FL

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:09 pm

mikec wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:10 am
Going to work on the photo this weekend.
I'm excited to see what you'll come up with! S-

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:12 pm

Close examination suggests the cross is ever-so-slightly soft, but it doesn't bother me. Pictorially I think it's good. What keeps me coming back and looking are the questions it raises: what does it mean? Why is there a rosary hanging on a rough tree? Is it a metaphor? (That works, actually.) :)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:21 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:12 pm
Close examination suggests the cross is ever-so-slightly soft, but it doesn't bother me. Pictorially I think it's good. What keeps me coming back and looking are the questions it raises: what does it mean? Why is there a rosary hanging on a rough tree? Is it a metaphor? (That works, actually.) :)
It's interesting looking at an image, not knowing what to expect and then making 'judgments' from afar. Sort of like going to a gallery and telling the artist Hey I Think The Cross Is A Little Soft, and the artist is thinking, It Was Meant To Be, Don't You Get It? I never know exactly how much to say, but always try to approach it as if a friend asked and wanted an honest opinion, even then the Do These Jeans Make Me Look Fat advice can get you in trouble though.

The sharpness is not good, is not bad, and now that you mention it I can see it as a metaphor and like it even more for it! S-

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:42 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:21 pm
It's interesting looking at an image, not knowing what to expect and then making 'judgments' from afar. Sort of like going to a gallery and telling the artist Hey I Think The Cross Is A Little Soft, and the artist is thinking, It Was Meant To Be, Don't You Get It? I never know exactly how much to say, but always try to approach it as if a friend asked and wanted an honest opinion, even then the Do These Jeans Make Me Look Fat advice can get you in trouble though.

The sharpness is not good, is not bad, and now that you mention it I can see it as a metaphor and like it even more for it! S-
Looking and commenting IS interesting, which I guess is why we do it. I'm a sharp freak, as you know, and will usually reject any image I make (jus' me) simply for being unsharp in the slightest degree, but you're absolutely right, maybe the uberslight softness (in any image, not necessarily this one) was meant, and the viewer does not, in fact, get it. I try pretty hard to be "fair and balanced." I don't have to tell you, Steve, that I've been reamed pretty good for a critique that I thought was reasonable but the artist most emphatically did not. :|

Mike, overall I think this is a well made and interesting image. The composition is good, the finishing is good, there's a white and a black and good long scale, detail in the brightest highlights on the rosary beads up left, shadows reasonably open but the deep shadow behind the cross sets it off well (not sure if it needs lightening)... The cross is very, very slightly soft but it does not "ruin" the picture. As I said, I am more curious about the picture's meaning than anything. A couple of days ago I showed some pictures of tree bark --- just tree bark. I was desperate for something to shoot and show. (?)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:47 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:42 pm
... I don't have to tell you, Steve, that I've been reamed pretty good for a critique that I thought was reasonable but the artist most emphatically did not. :|
I don't mean to get off on a side, and I'm sure I'm different from most, but I figure 'if you ask then you want to know' and I'm glad you are who you are, you bring a side of me I never explore and am thankful for that. Thank you for all you bring to us! S-