Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Undulating Waves

Post by minniev » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:54 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:58 pm

It's almost dead center in #1. I misunderstood Frank's pano; he used #2. I thought he had used #1. We both see the same bird, I guess. Matt
Good, that means you and I were seeing the same thing!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:50 am

I came across something and learned it's called murmuring. I've added the rest for your inspiration!

The incredible science behind starling murmurations
"As starlings gather in the evenings to roost, often they will participate in what is called a murmuration — a huge flock that shape-shifts in the sky as if it were one swirling liquid mass. Often the behavior is sparked by the presence of a predator like a hawk or peregrine falcon, and the flock's movement is based on evasive maneuvers. There is safety in numbers, so the individual starlings do not scatter but rather are able to move as an intelligent cloud, feinting away from a diving raptor, thousands of birds changing direction almost simultaneously. The question that has had scientists stumped is how each bird, most of them tens or hundreds of birds away from the danger, senses the shift and moves in unison? ..."

Photographer Captures One In A Million Photo

Watching the birds with you was an amazing memory! Thank you for sharing that! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:43 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:50 am
I came across something and learned it's called murmuring. I've added the rest for your inspiration!

The incredible science behind starling murmurations
"As starlings gather in the evenings to roost, often they will participate in what is called a murmuration — a huge flock that shape-shifts in the sky as if it were one swirling liquid mass. Often the behavior is sparked by the presence of a predator like a hawk or peregrine falcon, and the flock's movement is based on evasive maneuvers. There is safety in numbers, so the individual starlings do not scatter but rather are able to move as an intelligent cloud, feinting away from a diving raptor, thousands of birds changing direction almost simultaneously. The question that has had scientists stumped is how each bird, most of them tens or hundreds of birds away from the danger, senses the shift and moves in unison? ..."

Photographer Captures One In A Million Photo

Watching the birds with you was an amazing memory! Thank you for sharing that! S-
Thank you for this. They are beautiful to watch, and I get mesmerized standing beneath their flow.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones