"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

Places CritiqueSwamp Child, Unclothed, At Dawn

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Swamp Child, Unclothed, At Dawn

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:45 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:28 pm
minniev wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:15 pm
I actually thought about trying to do that kind of selection, Chuck, and may try yet. I'm attached to the little tree and if I can find a way to make him show up better, on some rainy day I'll see if I can do that. It will be good practice for my very poor selection skills. Thanks!
It is excellent training, maybe the only training there is. I apparently have the patience for it (laf). Many do not. I am also struggling with it because it is challenging but I wanna do what I wanna do, so... I've been doing the usual pattern of watching tutorials, trying, getting frustrated, re-watching, retrying, re-getting-mad(der)... :x The old refine edge tool was pretty good. Select and Mask is better but I am not finding it very intuitive nor is it easier; I think it's harder, but what I'm after is what I've been after for my whole career: not to be able to see what if anything was done. That's what I was taught was the essence to good retouching. It might be relatively easy to give shivering tree an ethereal glow (could maybe even be done in LR with a brush), but that to me would be too obviously a retouch job, but that's also a matter of taste. It could look great, but I personally would probably not care for it. But a subtle "lift" of the tiny tree, boy... (OK)
Select and mask is tricky for me. If my own visual acuity were better I suspect it would be less of a struggle. I've watched countless videos and read even more articles but my mind isn't completely wrapped around it yet either. Another project for 2018...
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:09 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:02 pm
davechinn wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:35 pm
minniev wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:48 pm
And if anyone had any prurient interest in the title, they would be disappointed at seeking a naked little tree shivering on an icy morning.

Many of the young cypress have not survived the droughts of the past 3 years. Those who are able to keep their feet wet early in life are the most likely to prevail. If they can grow to adulthood with wet feet, they can survive drought because of the way they obtain and manage water. This one is in the deepest slough of the old river bed on this south side of the swamp. On the north side, the young cypress are doing better because of the depth of the slough.

This image may be of little interest unless a part of the Swamp Child series, but some of you have seen others in this set.

All suggestions appreciated, whether you've seen the others or not, I'm interested in opinions and ideas.

A fine image as is Minnie !!! However, if I were to attempt to change anything it would be a tighter crop to expose more of the swamp child out of the subtle existence shown in this image. Another thought would be a re-shoot at a lower point of view, if possible. I do love it as is, because the color tone is so enjoyable to view that I would prefer to process some of my own (when I choose color) in this manner.
Dave
Thanks Dave. I understand the idea of getting closer, and I've been told that before with my other photos of this little fella. It is not easy to do. No way to shoot it any closer or lower from this angle, which is usually my preference in the morning because of the light. With the current drought conditions it is possible to slog a little closer from the east side, but I don't get the trees framing it when I do this. Like lots of the stuff we shoot, it requires some compromises. A crop, as you suggested, may offer some possibilities, and just a couple of days ago I took an old long lens into the swamp. It's one I seldom take because it is big and heavy and requires an adapter, but it's also much brighter than my m43 long lens. I resolved to take this lens more often, I can see possibilities for getting closer via glass!

Here's one from the boggy little route available this winter on the east side.
Minnie, I prefer the original shot, not the cropped one. In the first, I am looking at the young one since your framing leads my eye there; in the second, I find myself looking past it because it blends too much with the background. If I were to try anything, I would try to lighten the little guy a bit to make it stand out more; or something like that to call more attention to it. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:53 am

minniev wrote:
All suggestions appreciated, whether you've seen the others or not, I'm interested in opinions and ideas.
I worked the image and can't say I like it any better than yours! S-
- Cropped, Radial Filter Exposure-0.5 Highlights-24 Shadows-24 Clarity-24 Sharpness-24
Attachments
swamp child unclothed (1 of 1)-1-2.jpg
swamp child unclothed (1 of 1)-1-2.jpg (339.3 KiB) Viewed 370 times
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:25 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:53 am
minniev wrote:
I worked the image and can't say I like it any better than yours! S-
- Cropped, Radial Filter Exposure-0.5 Highlights-24 Shadows-24 Clarity-24 Sharpness-24
Thank you. I like it. I haven’t yet tried the careful selection but radials are the next best thing and have the plus of blending well
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones