"You Are The Difference!"

Places CritiqueBonaparte's Retreat - Dam in Winter

Post Reply
User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4099
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Bonaparte's Retreat - Dam in Winter

Post by minniev » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:26 pm

This image is more my kitchen sink variety. It was too cold for the herons and egrets but some Bonaparte gulls passed through headed from somewhere to somewhere. All feedback appreciated including edits.
Attachments
bpreview.jpg
bpreview.jpg (622.23 KiB) Viewed 671 times
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2525
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Duck » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:06 am

This is rather fantastic. I love the repetition of from (cascade, wall erosion, wall) and the icicles on the far left. I can feel the power and hear the deafening rush of water in this image. The birds look small in comparison, giving the the whole structure a massiveness.

For me, I love that repetition of line and form. This is one I'd study if it were hanging in a museum or art gallery.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4099
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:11 pm

Duck wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:06 am
This is rather fantastic. I love the repetition of from (cascade, wall erosion, wall) and the icicles on the far left. I can feel the power and hear the deafening rush of water in this image. The birds look small in comparison, giving the the whole structure a massiveness.

For me, I love that repetition of line and form. This is one I'd study if it were hanging in a museum or art gallery.
Thanks Duck. This is one of my Busy ones so I had my doubts. I’m a sucker for shapes and lines. Glad it worked for you and appreciate your telling me why.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:29 pm

Duck's feedback was super as an aid (teacher holding my hand) on how to how to analyze this. And your mention, Minnie, of shapes and lines. I couldn't see the forest for the trees, though I did note some pretty cool play of light and shadow. I was first looking at it more literally (maybe because now much more familiar with the subject matter and setting than a year ago?). In another forum I wrote four paragraghs on someone's shot of red hair, but other times I struggle with verbal expression. Thank you both!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2760
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:34 pm

minniev wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:26 pm
This image is more my kitchen sink variety. It was too cold for the herons and egrets but some Bonaparte gulls passed through headed from somewhere to somewhere. All feedback appreciated including edits.
Braque. Splendid. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4099
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:30 am

LindaShorey wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:29 pm
Duck's feedback was super as an aid (teacher holding my hand) on how to how to analyze this. And your mention, Minnie, of shapes and lines. I couldn't see the forest for the trees, though I did note some pretty cool play of light and shadow. I was first looking at it more literally (maybe because now much more familiar with the subject matter and setting than a year ago?). In another forum I wrote four paragraghs on someone's shot of red hair, but other times I struggle with verbal expression. Thank you both!
Thanks Linda. Shape and line dominates my internal guide to composition.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4099
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:33 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:34 pm
minniev wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:26 pm
This image is more my kitchen sink variety. It was too cold for the herons and egrets but some Bonaparte gulls passed through headed from somewhere to somewhere. All feedback appreciated including edits.
Braque. Splendid. Matt
Thank you Matt for sharing the Braque reference. He is not one I know. But it looks like he liked shapes too!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4358
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:07 am

Park your car at the dam and never leave! Oh, well you can visit the swamp, but never leave!

The first thing I notice is the ice on the relaxed L, then I'm pulled to the beautiful ice on the wall and how beautifully it's shaped by the water. Everything else comes next but more importantly, everything else falls into place where it belongs.

The weather is a gift and you've used it well! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4099
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:21 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:07 am
Park your car at the dam and never leave! Oh, well you can visit the swamp, but never leave!

The first thing I notice is the ice on the relaxed L, then I'm pulled to the beautiful ice on the wall and how beautifully it's shaped by the water. Everything else comes next but more importantly, everything else falls into place where it belongs.

The weather is a gift and you've used it well! S-
Thank you. The ice was the story this time instead of the birds. I love ice even though it isn't exactly comfy. It sure is pretty stuff.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest