"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

Places CritiqueThe Bay At Dawn + 4 Fishermen X 2 Ways

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Posts: 3671
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

The Bay At Dawn + 4 Fishermen X 2 Ways

Post by minniev » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:38 pm

A foggy morning on the little bay where the fishermen launch (both winged and two legged fishermen). It's a pretty humble shot but I wanted to try to make it a little better. Advice, feedback appreciated.
Attachments
going forth (2 of 2).jpg
going forth (1 of 2).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:26 pm

The much stronger story IMO is #2: the golden hour color ontrasted against the cool cyan of the water and with the pops of red in the boat to help separate details there, What I like best about this topic is you've presented an excellent example of when color is so integral to the mood and other aspects, that b&w doesn't stand a chance :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1841
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:24 pm

For me the color for sure. For me the B&W puts too much attention on the boat. Maybe it's the contrast. The color is soft, I can see it's pretty chilly but not about to ice over (thinking about that a lot since it's currently well below zero where I am). If I were to have made it I think I might see if I could (somehow) make the rising mist a leeeetle more prominent, and one thing I like a lot in the B&W is that the egret stands brightly out, but seems more subdued in the color. I might try to raise her value juuuuust a tish, but that's all awfully nitpicky. The color picture is so inviting, it really needs nothing. Except maybe me in that boat. :D
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Posts: 2495
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:33 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:38 pm
A foggy morning on the little bay where the fishermen launch (both winged and two legged fishermen). It's a pretty humble shot but I wanted to try to make it a little better. Advice, feedback appreciated.
minniev wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:38 pm
A foggy morning on the little bay where the fishermen launch (both winged and two legged fishermen). It's a pretty humble shot but I wanted to try to make it a little better. Advice, feedback appreciated.
Hudson River School, Minnie. Lustrous. I prefer the color version. The bw version looks like an attack boat with all the high tech gear. Poor fish! Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4291
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:30 pm

With that light and the pop of red, there's no choice but the color! Wow, it looks cold! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Posts: 3671
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:16 am

LindaShorey wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:26 pm
The much stronger story IMO is #2: the golden hour color ontrasted against the cool cyan of the water and with the pops of red in the boat to help separate details there, What I like best about this topic is you've presented an excellent example of when color is so integral to the mood and other aspects, that b&w doesn't stand a chance :)
The main draw of the monochrome was that the birds stood out but I agree the scene as a whole is preferable in color.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Posts: 3671
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:19 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:24 pm
For me the color for sure. For me the B&W puts too much attention on the boat. Maybe it's the contrast. The color is soft, I can see it's pretty chilly but not about to ice over (thinking about that a lot since it's currently well below zero where I am). If I were to have made it I think I might see if I could (somehow) make the rising mist a leeeetle more prominent, and one thing I like a lot in the B&W is that the egret stands brightly out, but seems more subdued in the color. I might try to raise her value juuuuust a tish, but that's all awfully nitpicky. The color picture is so inviting, it really needs nothing. Except maybe me in that boat. :D
Well, it was only about 25 when this was taken, so not much better. The birds were stronger in the monochrome, but it is often hard for me to give up colors to get contrast so even if I can't bring birdie out any more, I agree with you on the color version.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Posts: 3671
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:20 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:33 pm
minniev wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:38 pm
A foggy morning on the little bay where the fishermen launch (both winged and two legged fishermen). It's a pretty humble shot but I wanted to try to make it a little better. Advice, feedback appreciated.
minniev wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:38 pm
A foggy morning on the little bay where the fishermen launch (both winged and two legged fishermen). It's a pretty humble shot but I wanted to try to make it a little better. Advice, feedback appreciated.
Hudson River School, Minnie. Lustrous. I prefer the color version. The bw version looks like an attack boat with all the high tech gear. Poor fish! Matt
Thank you Matt, the Hudson River School was my inspiration for landscape photography. "Attack boat" :) /funny but true!!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Posts: 3671
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:23 am

St3v3M wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:30 pm
With that light and the pop of red, there's no choice but the color! Wow, it looks cold! S-
It was! You were there! This one's left over from Thanksgiving!

I agree on the color...
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1841
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:30 am

minniev wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:19 am
Charles Haacker wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:24 pm
For me the color for sure. For me the B&W puts too much attention on the boat. Maybe it's the contrast. The color is soft, I can see it's pretty chilly but not about to ice over (thinking about that a lot since it's currently well below zero where I am). If I were to have made it I think I might see if I could (somehow) make the rising mist a leeeetle more prominent, and one thing I like a lot in the B&W is that the egret stands brightly out, but seems more subdued in the color. I might try to raise her value juuuuust a tish, but that's all awfully nitpicky. The color picture is so inviting, it really needs nothing. Except maybe me in that boat. :D
Well, it was only about 25 when this was taken, so not much better. The birds were stronger in the monochrome, but it is often hard for me to give up colors to get contrast so even if I can't bring birdie out any more, I agree with you on the color version.
25? Twenty Five? Fahrenheit? Above??! HOOo-weee! Here we call that a Heat Wave! :lol: (Sorry, sometimes I can't help it!) :D
(Seriously, didn't know you could get that cold down there! On t'other hand, my family thinks I'm nuts because anytime it's above 20 I call it jacket weather. Really! Daphne was cold when it got below 75. I'm uncomfortable when it gets above 65. :D )
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest