"Photograph things you care about, not what you think others want to see. There is no substitution for passion." —Sarah Rice

Places CritiqueSacred and profane

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Sacred and profane

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:01 pm

The First Parish, Brewster, Cape Cod, includes a Unitarian Universalist community that is welcoming and open to the townspeople and visitors. Originally founded in 1700, it was a Puritan church. Although Unitarianism became formalized in 1825, this parish did not formally join until the mid 1800s. In 1961, Unitarians and Universalists consolidated and this became a UU community.

During the summer months, when grandchildren abound, the church hosts shows by jugglers and puppeteers. I stopped in with my monochrom just after Trevor, the Juggler, had finished his morning show, and as he was removing his gear. He kindly let me take a few snaps of his many colored hats before whisking them into his VW. Herewith is one of them:
Sacred and profane (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:14 pm

Wowsa, that architecture sure brings back memories of a small church in a small Maine town where I spent a lot of years.

Your written story is fascinating, but I don't feel that the photo could stand alone without it - as far as getting across the point of your title. I don't have any good suggestions, but I do like a crop which makes the scene more intimate. May I post it?

edit - would it be too cliche to paint the hats a color? :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:46 pm

Matt I hear your story but I don't see the photo really telling any of it..I probably wouldn't have even noticed the hats...the pews are the story as presented...I think bringing up the shadows for some detail in the wood railing then maybe take down the black a touch...an interesting image with some blown specular highlights which aren't a deal breaker,,,,I wonder about you choice of colored hats in monochrome....all just friendly opinion mind you...

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:59 pm

I have been shooting with a Leica M Monochrom, so there is no color. I should have taken an iPhone pic, but there was a rush by the juggler. After I read your comment, I looked at the photo with new eyes; yes the pews are the story. I am eager to see what Linda posts of her crop. I will try some myself. Thanks Matt
Matt Quinn

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:53 am

Matt Quinn wrote:I have been shooting with a Leica M Monochrom, so there is no color. I should have taken an iPhone pic, but there was a rush by the juggler. After I read your comment, I looked at the photo with new eyes; yes the pews are the story. I am eager to see what Linda posts of her crop. I will try some myself. Thanks Matt

I was thinking you might try selectively coloring just the hats in editing; it was kind of a tongue in cheek suggestion because most folks would likely find the idea a bit off-putting :| Another thought is to heavily lighten/whiten the lighter-colored hats in the stack.

I hope this crop directs our attention a bit more to your subject while also removing the most over-exposed part of the window area. If it had been possible to re-arrange, removing the lamp and candle? would have helped isolate the hats also, but probably not an option.

Thanks Matt!
Attachments
editSacredandprofane281of129.jpg
editSacredandprofane281of129.jpg (167.81 KiB) Viewed 779 times
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

ErichBrunner
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by ErichBrunner » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:33 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:The First Parish, Brewster, Cape Cod, includes a Unitarian Universalist community that is welcoming and open to the townspeople and visitors. Originally founded in 1700, it was a Puritan church. Although Unitarianism became formalized in 1825, this parish did not formally join until the mid 1800s. In 1961, Unitarians and Universalists consolidated and this became a UU community.

During the summer months, when grandchildren abound, the church hosts shows by jugglers and puppeteers. I stopped in with my monochrom just after Trevor, the Juggler, had finished his morning show, and as he was removing his gear. He kindly let me take a few snaps of his many colored hats before whisking them into his VW. Herewith is one of them:Sacred and profane (1 of 1).jpg

As has been mentioned, the photo does not necessarily illustrate the backstory. That notwithstanding, I do like the photo. You picked a good subject to depict in black and white. One of the things that Linda's crop does is to eliminate the foreground which is not in focus. I'm guessing that there was not enough light inside the church to shoot at a very small aperture. So, the original suffers a bit from lack of depth of field. I think you did well to capture the white painted pews (so typical of old New England churches)and the dark railings. Your recent posts demonstrate your efforts to work on composition and presentation. I applaud that effort and I think you have been quite successful.
Erich

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:00 pm

hope this crop directs our attention a bit more to your subject while also removing the most over-exposed part of the window area. If it had been possible to re-arrange, removing the lamp and candle? would have helped isolate the hats also, but probably not an option.

Yes, Linda, this is much, much better. Removing the candle and lamp would have been ideal, but time didn't permit. Looking at the photo again, I wonder whether moving the lectern as well would have been a good idea. I think the pews might be enough to suggest a church. And, if I could have shot in color and converted everything but the hats, that would have conveyed the idea better. Thanks again for your suggestion and interest. And apologies for the slip-up.Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:52 am

It's always amazing the difference of what we see, what we present, and what others see.

Thank you for adding this and allowing us to share our thoughts! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:58 pm

You're welcome Steve. I did another crop if you w ant to see it. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:23 am

Matt Quinn wrote:You're welcome Steve. I did another crop if you w ant to see it. Matt

Yes please! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"