Places CritiqueVacationing With Cindy

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Vacationing With Cindy

Post by minniev » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:43 pm

Tropical storm Cindy stole a lot of our vacation. By day 2 the rain had slowed enough for us to get on the beach but it was not photography-friendly. Still, if you have a camera, you have to try and see what you can do. The little grandsons were intrigued with the strange alien-looking foam formations left behind.
Attachments
beach play3 (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Storms are definitely a mood killer when on vacation at the beach but should be a photographer's dream. Thunder clouds over the horizon, crashing waves and moody skies all lend themselves to creating dramatic landscapes. But, if traveling with family and little ones I can see how that can be depressing.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

ErichBrunner
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by ErichBrunner » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:45 am

minniev wrote:Tropical storm Cindy stole a lot of our vacation. By day 2 the rain had slowed enough for us to get on the beach but it was not photography-friendly. Still, if you have a camera, you have to try and see what you can do. The little grandsons were intrigued with the strange alien-looking foam formations left behind.

I remember Sandy as though it was yesterday. I also took a few photos; but could not bring myself to photograph the destruction. It just did not seem right. I like this photo because the foam leads in to the image and it appears that there is still some pretty rough water in the background.
Erich

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:21 am

For me you have left some tonal values on the table, and for this scene I feel the added drama of bringing them out is perfectly acceptable...don't be pulling that show me line either. I am left wondering how much was cropped......

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:11 am

ErichBrunner wrote:
minniev wrote:Tropical storm Cindy stole a lot of our vacation. By day 2 the rain had slowed enough for us to get on the beach but it was not photography-friendly. Still, if you have a camera, you have to try and see what you can do. The little grandsons were intrigued with the strange alien-looking foam formations left behind.

I remember Sandy as though it was yesterday. I also took a few photos; but could not bring myself to photograph the destruction. It just did not seem right. I like this photo because the foam leads in to the image and it appears that there is still some pretty rough water in the background.
Erich

Thanks Erich, it was still pretty rough today, waves up to 14 ft which is high for here.

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:13 am

Duck wrote:Storms are definitely a mood killer when on vacation at the beach but should be a photographer's dream. Thunder clouds over the horizon, crashing waves and moody skies all lend themselves to creating dramatic landscapes. But, if traveling with family and little ones I can see how that can be depressing.

Being trapped with three little boys with cabin fever is challenging. I had the crashing waves but I couldn't figure out what to do with them. The beach here is condominium after condominium, with very little else to photograph. Everything I shot was kinda boring. Except the grandkids of course.

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:17 am

Psjunkie wrote:For me you have left some tonal values on the table, and for this scene I feel the added drama of bringing them out is perfectly acceptable...don't be pulling that show me line either. I am left wondering how much was cropped......

Show me!!! Not much was cropped, just a sliver necessary to straighten it. There just weren't any tones in the scene, I had to create whatever is there. It was gray, rainy, no color or contrast anywhere, and the lens was constantly fogged up to boot.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:47 am

minniev wrote:Show me!!! ...

I love this for every story it want's to tell, and in the spirit of things, I pushed the tonal values as far as I know how.

I hope you like these as there are plenty more! S-
Attachments
beach play3cf.jpg
beach play3cu.jpg
beach play3cl.jpg
beach play3cc.jpg
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:58 pm

St3v3M wrote:
minniev wrote:Show me!!! ...

I love this for every story it want's to tell, and in the spirit of things, I pushed the tonal values as far as I know how.

I hope you like these as there are plenty more! S-

I always love your crops, Steve. You find so many pictures inside the pictures, stories inside of stories.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:34 pm

I like this shot Minnie, that beach looks made for little toes and wild running.