Places CritiqueCOMPOSITE - My 2 Cents Worth

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

COMPOSITE - My 2 Cents Worth

Post by TomCofer » Wed May 03, 2017 1:50 am

I've been enjoying the composite posts that have popped up lately. It's an area that I've enjoyed playing with over the years. I put a lot of effort into them at times, but have always had random hit or miss results.
Sometimes they are done just for fun, sometime with serious intent to make them look "real", and a few times I did them out of absolute necessity.
Here are some I did just for the fun of it:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

While shooting a mother, her daughter, and grandson, I remembered seeing something like this and out of the blue, decided to give it a try.

4.jpg

5.jpg

I was at a wedding, taking a photo of a large group. I had everyone gathered together, they were all looking at the camera, they were all smiling, and I was pressing the shutter button when... a guest with a cell phone popped their head in front of me to get a picture.

I had to composite that shot with the next 5 or 6 to get one decent shot of the group where someone wasn't looking away, blinking, or something of the sort. (Sorry, that photo is buried somewhere within one of my external drives that are collecting dust.)

Hope they made you smile.

Tom
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Didereaux » Wed May 03, 2017 1:54 am

Really well done! Especially the Cofer group shots! ;)
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by TomCofer » Wed May 03, 2017 2:03 am

Didereaux wrote:Really well done! Especially the Cofer group shots! ;)

Thanks. Me, myself, and the other guys had fun doing it. :D

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed May 03, 2017 2:42 am

They are all very, very good, Tom. The first three are hilarious! :lol: :rofl: I love the 3-generation composite. I especially like it in B&W. :thumbup:

The wedding story on the other hand, not so much. Been there, done that, and not at a time when every bleepin' cell phone is a camera and every guest has one. (Early cell phones in those days looked and weighed like car batteries; I knew a coupl'a dandies that had them.) I thought I had it bad because thanks to guests with flash cameras I was no longer able to slave a light with a photo sensor but had to $pend the dough to buy radio triggers, which added to the weight of my rig, which was a Hasselblad with a stroboframe and a bunch'a other stuff that made the thing weigh like 6 pounds. :( :doh: If I were still in the racket I don't think I could stand to shoot weddings any more. They were the hardest, most physical work I ever did, and I was honestly terrified every time I went out, and I stayed that way until the proofsets came back from the lab. 8~
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Wed May 03, 2017 12:41 pm

The b&w profiles are super special. Were the subjects pleased with your result? I hope it's on someone's wall!

The multi-Tom shots are a lot of fun.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by TomCofer » Wed May 03, 2017 3:09 pm

Thanks folks.
I played a lot with the profile composite. They loved it, I liked it a lot. Still, I feel like it isn't quite "right" but haven't figured out why.

Weddings...
I've shot about a dozen or so. They were for lower income folks who would have had Uncle Bob or someone of the sort shooting them without me. I always encouraged them to hire a pro if they could. Anyway... I found them to be crazy, and super stressful, but I got an odd enjoyment out of shooting them and being a part of the event. Still, well intended guests with cellphones or cameras can become serious pains in the *** .

thcofer@charter.net

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed May 03, 2017 3:28 pm

TomCofer wrote:Thanks folks.
I played a lot with the profile composite. They loved it, I liked it a lot. Still, I feel like it isn't quite "right" but haven't figured out why.

May I offer a suggestion? IF anything at all is "wrong," it may be the relative distance of the little boy, who seems further back from his mom than his mom is from her mom. My suggestion would be to slightly increase the relative distance of Mom from Mom so they are visually balanced, kind of like the way computer fonts automatically space the various letters so they look balanced.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by TomCofer » Wed May 03, 2017 3:37 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
TomCofer wrote:Thanks folks.

May I offer a suggestion? IF anything at all is "wrong," it may be the relative distance of the little boy, who seems further back from his mom than his mom is from her mom. My suggestion would be to slightly increase the relative distance of Mom from Mom so they are visually balanced, kind of like the way computer fonts automatically space the various letters so they look balanced.

Hmmm, that may be a good part of it. I think another part that I battled with is how to align the faces, what part do I have on the same horizontal plane, eyes, chins, ... Nothing seemed quite right.

thcofer@charter.net

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Wed May 03, 2017 4:01 pm

I am inclined to think Chuck's suggestion may have some merit Tom...then look at a tighter crop to just behind the boys ear, up from the bottom as I think seeing the length of the boy's body while just the necks of the women may be causing some issue and in from the right till comfortable.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed May 10, 2017 3:08 am

TomCofer wrote:I've been enjoying the composite posts that have popped up lately. It's an area that I've enjoyed playing with over the years. I put a lot of effort into them at times, but have always had random hit or miss results.
Sometimes they are done just for fun, sometime with serious intent to make them look "real", and a few times I did them out of absolute necessity.
Here are some I did just for the fun of it:

While shooting a mother, her daughter, and grandson, I remembered seeing something like this and out of the blue, decided to give it a try.

I was at a wedding, taking a photo of a large group. I had everyone gathered together, they were all looking at the camera, they were all smiling, and I was pressing the shutter button when... a guest with a cell phone popped their head in front of me to get a picture.

I had to composite that shot with the next 5 or 6 to get one decent shot of the group where someone wasn't looking away, blinking, or something of the sort. (Sorry, that photo is buried somewhere within one of my external drives that are collecting dust.)

Hope they made you smile.

Tom

I'm intrigued by the first but wonder how it would feel without the Cofer sitting down. The second is good, but with one reflection you probably need the rest. The third reminds me Monkey See, Monkey Do and makes me wonder if these are your true selves.

I really like the black and white. The color is good, but black and crop makes it that much more special. You should do more of these! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"