"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

Places CritiqueCOMPOSITE - Vanitas Moment

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

COMPOSITE - Vanitas Moment

Post by Didereaux » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:04 am

There's an obscure art movement that peaked in the late 16th thru 17th centuries, mostly Netherlands centered called the Vanitas movement. In short vanitas is Latin for vanity, and in this instance the artists used it in a broad sense to mean Man's vanity in thinking himself important to the universe or something special (sounds familiar doesn't it?). Usually had a skull or some such in it. So while browsing around in the old art archives on line I run across this painting of a desk with a skull and other stuff on it. Liked it. Later I got to looking at it more closely and thought that maybe the original needed to be updated a couple of centuries. Took out the large plumed quill pen and ink bottle. Borrowed an old black powder pistol from a friend, took a picture of it on a plain background then cut and pasted it into the painting. Figured out the light directions and put in the shadows. But, something was missing. Oh right! How did the original occupant of the skull wind up as a skull on the desk? Added the bullet hole in the temple and voila' you have 'Vanitas Moment'

There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:39 pm

I know someone else who makes images like these and will invite him to share here. What an imagination you have to create something so unique! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Didereaux » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:51 pm

St3v3M wrote:I know someone else who makes images like these and will invite him to share here. What an imagination you have to create something so unique! S-

Thank you.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.