“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Critic's CornerYale Vanderbilt Hall with LR6

Any subject is fair game as long as it's tone mapped. Landscapes, architecture, etc. Software discussion is encouraged.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Yale Vanderbilt Hall with LR6

Postby Duck » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:37 pm

The more I play with Lightroom 6's HDR feature the more I really don't like it. The tone mapping seems inconsistent and unpredictable. I'll do a typical three exposure range and the results seems to come out overexposed. I remove the +EV from the group and sometimes that helps while other times it comes out underexposed. Adobe seems to have really dropped the ball on this. If they had integrated a way of selecting/deselecting an exposure from the group and preview the results would have been a step in the right direction. A small step but at least somewhat more practical.

Anyhow, here are some images from Yale University from this past weekend.

LR6 HDR
duck_5275_HDR.jpg
Cupola over Vanderbilt Hall

This image was processed with NIK HDR Efex Pro 2
duck_5254_HDR.jpg
Dorm entrance at Vanderbilt Hall

LR6 HDR
duck_5249_HDR.jpg
Vanderbilt Hall courtyard in bloom
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Re: Yale Vanderbilt Hall with LR6

Postby Onslow » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:03 am

Nice images Duck. I think the tone mapping for me is well implemented on the ones I have run through the feature. Without the tonemapping, I am left to complete the image in the LR develop and/or PS. Standalone hdr programs I found confused me as the hdr and tonemapping all happened at once. At least this way, I can capture the dynamic range easily in a dng and THEN process to finish it.

Nikodian1
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Postby Nikodian1 » Fri May 01, 2015 7:19 am

As Im not experienced enough to critique, I can only say what I like!
I just adore the 2nd shot, the one with the bikes leaning on the wall leading my eye to the front door.
I can only dream of being this good some day.
Jenny

Critique & comments welcome, Love to learn. :photo:

One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photo out of focus are an experimentation, one hundred photo out of focus are a style.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Fri May 01, 2015 2:00 pm

Onslow wrote:Nice images Duck. I think the tone mapping for me is well implemented on the ones I have run through the feature. Without the tonemapping, I am left to complete the image in the LR develop and/or PS. Standalone hdr programs I found confused me as the hdr and tonemapping all happened at once. At least this way, I can capture the dynamic range easily in a dng and THEN process to finish it.

Like you, I too like the idea of tone mapping first and then processing for style afterwards. The current interface leaves no choice to adjust how the images are mapped. So if I find a particular image throws the mapping balance off I can't adjust for that, requiring to start over again witha new set of images.

I'll have to take a weekend and do some testing with controlled variables. I'm busy this weekend but maybe I'll do this next weekend.

Nikodian1 wrote:As Im not experienced enough to critique, I can only say what I like!
I just adore the 2nd shot, the one with the bikes leaning on the wall leading my eye to the front door.
I can only dream of being this good some day.

Thanks for the ego boost 8):
I say the same thing about myself when I view images by other photographers. Just goes to show that we are always trying to achieve that higher level.
That said, don't sell yourself short either. There are others out there that will say the same of your images :thumbup:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Tue May 05, 2015 5:13 am

Another view...
duck_5213.jpg
Vanderbilt Hall